The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Coach has been complaining about non-calls most of the first half. Talks to me at half-tmie about a non-call on a loose ball (he felt a foul should have been called, I felt all contact was incidental).

Now second half, I'm lead, and no call on a rebound. He's at the other end of court and immediately complains, then a made basket. His girls start bringing the ball up the court and I notice him glaring at me the whole way up the court? Whack.

Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've said this before, but you can't whack a guy for looking at you. If you need to whack that guy, you do it when he's yelling, jumping, throwing the clipboard, etc. If you pass on that behavior, you have no business giving a T for "glaring". That's just my opinion, obviously, but I'm pretty convinced of it.
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck

I agree with Chuck...if you whack him for glaring, there aren't many who know what happened...if he is yelling everyone knows what is going on....
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

tjchamp,

I'm with Chuck and cmathews. If you needed to "T" him, the time to do it was when he was complaining.

Now I did see a "good T" given once just for staring, but it was quite different than your scenario. The one I saw was a coach who called a time-out and then walked about 15-feet on to the court and glared at on official for the entire time-out. It was quite obvious to everyone that he was being a jerk and the T near the end of the time-out was well deserved. In fact, the athletic director apologized to the officials after the game and thanked them for not ejecting him too. :-)

Z
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing.

You gave him a T for what? How did you notice that he was watching you? Was there not a basketball game going on in front of you?

Dude, you have to lighten up. Shock 3

Peace

Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

refs who become coachs

in my young reffing career...there have been those times when I have done games that the coach is an ex-official...knows the rules. Now i have had him glare at me...hold his nose (favorite of mine) and verbally complain abouts his girls getting called...usally ignore it but then his girls on the bench start coughing whenever either ref goes by his bench...after warning for unsporting conduct..bang
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:25am
In Memoriam

Re: refs who become coachs

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverdale
in my young reffing career...there have been those times when I have done games that the coach is an ex-official...knows the rules. Now i have had him glare at me...hold his nose (favorite of mine) and verbally complain abouts his girls getting called...usally ignore it but then his girls on the bench start coughing whenever either ref goes by his bench...after warning for unsporting conduct..bang
Hold his nose so that everybody in the world can see it? Jmo, but that's an automatic T if I ever heard of one. No warning needed for that one either.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Thanks for the advice all! I thought I might have been quick, that's why I asked. I'll chalk it up to experience, and move on.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Now I did see a "good T" given once just for staring. The one I saw was a coach who called a time-out and then walked about 15-feet on to the court and glared at on official for the entire time-out.
But even in this case, the T is not for staring. It's for being on the floor inappropriately. And personally, I would hope that the T was not given until one of my partners tried to walk the coach back to the box.

If the coach wants to spend his precious 60 seconds (or 30, or 75, or whatever) looking at you, you cannot T him/her for that. If you want to do something, wink at him or blow a kiss or put on a big dexter-eating grin and stare back.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: refs who become coachs

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverdale
in my young reffing career...there have been those times when I have done games that the coach is an ex-official...knows the rules. Now i have had him glare at me...hold his nose
As JR, said this is an easy T, especially if the coach is also an official. I realize in your sitch, he was an "ex"-official, but he still knows better. Whack 'im early and often.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I saw this T on TV several years back. It was called on the Temple coach (whose name I can't come with at this moment). I think I'd have ignored him. The announcers were harping during the entire timeout on how he was showing up the refs, so maybe he deserved it.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If the coach wants to spend his precious 60 seconds (or 30, or 75, or whatever) looking at you, you cannot T him/her for that.
whyinthehellnot?

[Edited by Dan_ref on Sep 27th, 2004 at 11:35 AM]
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]
Quote:
Quote:

If the coach wants to spend his precious 60 seconds (or 30, or 75, or whatever) looking at you, you cannot T him/her for that.
whyinthehellnot?
That was Chuck who said that, not me.

Z
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
But even in this case, the T is not for staring. It's for being on the floor inappropriately. And personally, I would hope that the T was not given until one of my partners tried to walk the coach back to the box.

If the coach wants to spend his precious 60 seconds (or 30, or 75, or whatever) looking at you, you cannot T him/her for that. If you want to do something, wink at him or blow a kiss or put on a big dexter-eating grin and stare back.
I completely disagree Chuck.

First of all, a coach (and the players) can be on the floor during a time-out so that isn't what the T was for.

Second of all, if you wink or blow him a kiss, you are just inciting him and becoming involved in his antics so that is much worse.

Trying to "walk him back to his huddle" once he's reached that point would most likely be pointless or throw gas on the fire.

If his whole purpose for the time-out is to stare at you and it's obvious to you and everyone in the gym, that is very unsportsmanlike.

Z
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zebraman
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

whyinthehellnot?
That was Chuck who said that, not me.

Z
Yep, I fixed it.