The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I've been reading the casebook and was reading 4.14.1 sit B. A1 is charge his/her 4th and he/she reacts with profanity and get a tech. Easy he/she is out with 5th.

Okay, now for the question it states that the coach does not get indirect due to A1 is not "bench personnel" yet.

It got me to thinking, when Does a player become bench personnel?

What is the exact moment?? Please cite Rule #'s
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by garote
When the player's coach is informed that the player has been disqualified.

Quote:
Please cite Rule #'s
Somebody else will have to help out with that. Sorry
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Cool Next rule... after 4-14-1

In the scenario you have quoted from 4.14.1B, the 5th foul was the profanity so the player was surely not bench personnel at the time the 5th foul was committed.

The answer as to when, is in rule 4-14-2: A player is officially disqualified and becomes bench personnel when the coach is notified by an official.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by garote
When the player's coach is informed that the player has been disqualified.

Quote:
Please cite Rule #'s
Somebody else will have to help out with that. Sorry
Why? Are your rulebooks in a briefcase up in your attic?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Wink Tell the coach first!

that is why i always tell the coach first that a player has fouled out, to avoid that situation.. if the player then blows up it's the coaches responsibility and they can be T'd for it...also that starts the 30 second clock that the coach has to replace the player!!! speeds up the process
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Re: Tell the coach first!

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
that is why i always tell the coach first that a player has fouled out, to avoid that situation.. if the player then blows up it's the coaches responsibility and they can be T'd for it...also that starts the 30 second clock that the coach has to replace the player!!! speeds up the process
Welcome to the forum.

The procedure you are using is correct, as per the clarification issued by the NFHS in this year's rule book. Rule 2-8-4 was re-written to notify coach--> signal timer to start replacement interval--> notify player. Telling the coach doesn't automatically start the 30 second clock; you have to tell the timer to start the clock. As Tony said previously, the player became bench personnel when you informed the coach.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Re: Tell the coach first!

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
But in this sitch the player didn't foul out on the first of the two consecutive fouls.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

so when she used profanity you t'd her up for it and it was her fifth...if she says nothing else then you wouldn't have any reason to t the coach up.. then inform him of 5th foul, start timer then let the player know she is done for the night...if she then responds inappropriately, T her again and it's then an indirect on the coach because she is now considered bench personel