The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hey everybody. I had a game today, and a pretty weird situation came up today, which resulted in a technical foul agaisnt a player on the other team. I want a second opinion.

Here's the scenario:

Blue 52 (me) and Black 23 (opposing team player) are fighting for the ball (tugging at it). Referee calls jump. Black 23 keeps wrestling for the ball, so in turn, I do to. After a second, Black 23 yells "Get off of me man!" Referee calls a technical foul against Black 23 for unsportsman like conduct. What would you of done?

I would have first backed me and Black 23 apart (there wasn't any fighting, but to prevent one), then I would of signaled the technical and given it to Black 23. I think the Ref did right. What about you?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPTIPLEX2001
Hey everybody. I had a game today, and a pretty weird situation came up today, which resulted in a technical foul agaisnt a player on the other team. I want a second opinion.

Here's the scenario:

Blue 52 (me) and Black 23 (opposing team player) are fighting for the ball (tugging at it). Referee calls jump. Black 23 keeps wrestling for the ball, so in turn, I do to. After a second, Black 23 yells "Get off of me man!" Referee calls a technical foul against Black 23 for unsportsman like conduct. What would you of done?

I would have first backed me and Black 23 apart (there wasn't any fighting, but to prevent one), then I would of signaled the technical and given it to Black 23. I think the Ref did right. What about you?
I would probably just hit the whistle again. I don't see that there was any reason for a T and I don't see a reason to get between the two of you, unless more occurred.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with BktBallRef that a "T" is not called for in this situation. I would give another shot on the whistle or walk up to the players and say, authoritatively, "Stop when you hear the whistle".

Had there been a lot of physical play in the game up to this point? Maybe the offical was trying to get the game under control. Even so, I would not give a Tech for this.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for your input, Mike! You see, me and 23 had kind of been picking at each other during the game.

I may not of saw everything that happened, like maybe when I turned my back, or he may of muttered something under his breath that I didn't hear.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
OPTIPLEX--

Why were YOU still hanging onto the ball? Once the whistle goes, you gain no advantage. Here's what you could do next time to look really cool -- (I'm not being sarcastic, it looks great!) When the whistle sounds, keep holding on just until the other player gives a good tug, then let go. If he falls or looks foolish it's his own fault, and you look mature, and controlled. Be sure your hands don't sort of go with the ball -- you don't want it to look like a push! Keep asking questions, and keep playing within the rules. If you do, you will go far in life, whatever your field may be!

PS I hope your parents didn't give you the name as above. If so, my final advice is to change it when you turn 18

juulie
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 02:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
OPTIPLEX--

Why were YOU still hanging onto the ball?

juulie
Testosterone can have that effect.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

PS I hope your parents didn't give you the name as above. If so, my final advice is to change it when you turn 18

juulie
LOL! That was pretty mean, juulie!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Testosterone can have that effect.
So I've heard, somewhere...

Optiplex -- didn't intend to me mean, about your name. I was sort of kidding, since I was pretty sure bktballref, and Mick, and various others of us all have or had proper names at one time. I was just being a little, well, jr. hi, I guess. Ive done a lot of 8th grade boys this weekend and I suppose some of it rubbed off.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about it...

I couldn't think of anything else. Just for the record, my name's Matthew.

Matthew