The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hi everybody! My name's Matt. I live in NC, in a rural area, and basketball is, however, very popular. I usually do the book keeping at all games, and score board at home games. I see many bad referee's out there - and I'm not just saying that by being biased - THEY ARE BAD! I see them out there, and it motivates me to be out there and call a good, fair game.

The problem is, I am only 13. I turn 14 late this summer, and that's the legal age to work in this state, but I believe the 'rules' for the basketball league here is that you have to be 18. Does anybody know why?

Also, please give me some "quizzes" or situations on here, and see if I would make the right call.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPTIPLEX2001
Hi everybody! My name's Matt. I live in NC, in a rural area, and basketball is, however, very popular. I usually do the book keeping at all games, and score board at home games. I see many bad referee's out there - and I'm not just saying that by being biased - THEY ARE BAD! I see them out there, and it motivates me to be out there and call a good, fair game.
The first rule for basketball officials is that you don't criticize other basketball officials. Now doubt that the officials who you are bad mouthing know a lot more about the game than you do. You don't learn how to officiate basketball by watching it on TV.

Quote:
The problem is, I am only 13. I turn 14 late this summer, and that's the legal age to work in this state, but I believe the 'rules' for the basketball league here is that you have to be 18. Does anybody know why?
Yes, I do. You're too young to have the respect of the coaches and players who are in the league. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just pointing out a problem that you would face. There are also legal reasons.

BTW, where do you live in NC?

Quote:
Also, please give me some "quizzes" or situations on here, and see if I would make the right call.

Okay Matt, here you go. All of the questions below are traveling situations. Let's allow Matt to answer these my himself everyone!

A player identified as A1 is a player on the offensive team. A player identified as B1 is a defensive player. Here goes!

Play #1 - A1 is holding the ball. Her left foot is her pivot foot. She steps with her right foot and starts to throw a pass. However, a defender leaps in front of her at the last possible moment. She holds onto the ball put lifts her pivot foot. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #2 - A2 passes the ball to A1. A1 is holding the ball and being guarded by B1. A1 tosses the ball over B1's head and takes off around B1. After the ball hits the floor, A1 grabs it, takes one step, and shoots the ball for a lay-up. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #3 - A1 is dribbling on a fast break. He passes the ball ahead to A2, who is flying down the court. He muffs the catch, bobbles the ball but succeeds in securing control before it strikes the floor. A2 took four steps after he initially touched the ball, before securing it. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #4 - A1 is in position for a rebound. He taps the rebound into the air to prevent a defender from gaining possession. He taps the ball into the air 4 times and takes 5 steps while trying to keep the ball away from the opponent. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #5 - A1 dives for a loose ball on the floor. She gains control of the ball but continues to slide before coming to a stop and requesting a timeout. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #6 - A1 falls to the floor and is lying on her back when she recovers a loose ball. She sits up and passes the ball to A2. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #7 - A1 is out of bounds for a spot throw-in. After the ball is placed at her disposal. She runs the baseline. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #8 - A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #9 - Dribbler A1 catches the ball with the right foot touching the floor and then jumps off that foot and alights on both feet simultaneously with one foot in advance of the other. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

Play #10 - Airborne A1 and A2 jointly grab the rebound and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 dribbles away. Is this traveling? Why or why not?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Play #1 - A1 is holding the ball. Her left foot is her pivot foot. She steps with her right foot and starts to throw a pass. However, a defender leaps in front of her at the last possible moment. She holds onto the ball put lifts her pivot foot. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
-------------------------------------------------------
No, it would only be traveling if s/he replaced her left (pivot) foot to the floor.
-------------------------------------------------------
Play #2 - A2 passes the ball to A1. A1 is holding the ball and being guarded by B1. A1 tosses the ball over B1's head and takes off around B1. After the ball hits the floor, A1 grabs it, takes one step, and shoots the ball for a lay-up. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
--------------------------------------------------------
No, s/he didn't take more than 2 steps.
Play #3 - A1 is dribbling on a fast break. He passes the ball ahead to A2, who is flying down the court. He muffs the catch, bobbles the ball but succeeds in securing control before it strikes the floor. A2 took four steps after he initially touched the ball, before securing it. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
Yes, s/he did not dribble, and took more steps then the legal amount.
Play #4 - A1 is in position for a rebound. He taps the rebound into the air to prevent a defender from gaining possession. He taps the ball into the air 4 times and takes 5 steps while trying to keep the ball away from the opponent. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
No, s/he does not legally have possesion.
Play #5 - A1 dives for a loose ball on the floor. She gains control of the ball but continues to slide before coming to a stop and requesting a timeout. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
Yes, s/he has possesion of the ball, is moving, and not dribbling.
Play #6 - A1 falls to the floor and is lying on her back when she recovers a loose ball. She sits up and passes the ball to A2. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
That's not enough information. I don't know if the pivot foot moved or not. Undetermined.
Play #7 - A1 is out of bounds for a spot throw-in. After the ball is placed at her disposal. She runs the baseline. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
No, but I do believe it would be a throw-in violation.
Play #8 - A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
No, between the time s/he made a try and caught the ball, s/he didn't have position.
Play #9 - Dribbler A1 catches the ball with the right foot touching the floor and then jumps off that foot and alights on both feet simultaneously with one foot in advance of the other. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
No, I believe s/he are alowed two-three steps not dribbling.
Play #10 - Airborne A1 and A2 jointly grab the rebound and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 dribbles away. Is this traveling? Why or why not?
Yes, whenever two teammates are wrestling for the ball, it is a travel.

I appreciate you taking the time to write out these plays for me. BTW, I'm not really going to say where I live in NC, just the state.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Matt, you seem to be a bright kid. I got started officiating because I too saw too many bad officials. After I called my first "bad" game, I found I was just as "bad" as any of the other officials out there. I even had a gentleman who is considered one of the best officials in America tell me that he is always screwing the game up. So if you are looking to be a good official accept the fact that you are bad and try to figure out what to work on. As a 13 year old, you won't be able to officiate HS games. At least, not until you are 18. For now, I know some rec leagues and YMCA programs that can use your services.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Tim for your encouraging post. I would love to officiate - not just because I saw some "bad" referee's, but because I love the sport. It's unfortunate, that in the area I live, we do not have those services; at least not that I'm aware of. As a favor, could you give me a "grade" on my answers?

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPTIPLEX2001
Thank you Tim for your encouraging post. I would love to officiate - not just because I saw some "bad" referee's, but because I love the sport. It's unfortunate, that in the area I live, we do not have those services; at least not that I'm aware of. As a favor, could you give me a "grade" on my answers?

Thanks,
Matt
You missed 4 (by my count).

To be fair, one of those was the one (6?) where you said that you didn't have enough information -- there was enough information in that question to answer it.

I'd suggest that you look into some "rec" league games to see if they need refereeing help (e.g., 3rd - 5th graders).
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate you pointing that out to me. Would you also please inform me of the others that I missed, and what the correct action would of been?

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Matt,

First, I only asked you where you live in NC because I live in NC. I might be able to point you in the right direction. I'm not going to come to your house and steal your dog or anything.

As for the quiz, none of the plays is traveling. They are all legal plays except for the spot throw-in, which is a violation.

#2 - I would probably count this one wrong. Although the answer is no, you have the wrong reasoning. it doesn't matter how many steps seh takes, this is simply the start of a dribble.

#3 & #4 - How is #3 different than #4?

#5 - It's not illegal to slide on the floor after diving for a ball and gaining possession of it.

#6 - There is no pivot foot when a player is sitting on the floor.

#9 - Again, right answer wrong reasoning. This is a jump stop and is allowed by rule.

#10 - Since neither player moved both feet, there isn't a traveling violation.

Not bad but as you can see, there a lot of rules to study, know and understand. Take the advice of those on this board and you'll be headed in the right direction.

Good luck!

Tony

PS - You can my association's web site by click on SAOA.FAYNC.COM below.

Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I'd started officiating when I was 13. Believe me...if you stick with it, accept feedback (and learn from it), and key on a few things to work on each year, you will do well! Work rec leagues and key on proper mechanics...You'll be many steps ahead when you are old enough to call HS ball!
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Okay, thanks for explainging that to me. I don't live in your area of NC, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find a rule book somewhere to order. BTW, I misunderstood you. I thought in number #3 (I believe) that he had the ball in his hands.
Thanks,
matt

[Edited by OPTIPLEX2001 on Jan 21st, 2001 at 08:04 AM]
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Matt, i started at age 14 reffing elementry school inramurals and touraments. Then at the age of 17 i joined my local board. Age only matters so much. Some 17 year olds are quite mature, this can help speed along the process of moving up the officiating ranks i.e. in the summer of my first season, i officiated the bronze medal game in the provincal championships. This year i started with a heavy slate of varsity games.. so just keep working..

Tyler
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

From a "late bloomer"

Matt

Be patient... but definitely take advantage of every opportunity you have to get "floor time" as an official.

It is imperative that you get a rule book and emmerse yourself in it. Just I have recommended many times before, Find a mentor who can provide support in your development as an official.

Best of Luck!
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys! Please, keep the feedback coming in!

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Matt,

First, I only asked you where you live in NC because I live in NC. I might be able to point you in the right direction. I'm not going to come to your house and steal your dog or anything.
...yeah, he's already stolen my dog & my stereo!

Matt, I too would encourage you to find some rec leagues
& work them. My son started doing this at around 13
(3 yrs ago) and he loves it. Good luck!
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Matt,

...yeah, he's already stolen my dog & my stereo!
And what a cheap ass stereo it was too!