The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure by now everyone's aware of why the Bronze medal game is delayed, so I have one question.

If you were the officials in any high level game would you allow the game to be delayed without any penalty because a team showed up with the wrong colour shirts??
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It happen to me.

I have had this happen before. I was working a tournament neither team was the host team and showed up in gold jerseys. Thank God one had blue numbering and the other team had white. So at the very least we could make a distinction between the teams by number. It was hard to work like that, but it was really not that hard. Neither team had another uniform to change in to. We just had to go with it. This game was also before all the specific uniform changes were in place and there was not much to do at that time.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

According to FIBA both teams were mistakenly told to where home whites. Both teams sent people to retrieve their coloreds. The US alternates arrived first so they were the ones to change.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
According to FIBA both teams were mistakenly told to where home whites. Both teams sent people to retrieve their coloreds. The US alternates arrived first so they were the ones to change.
It all makes sense now, I didn't know that FIBA told both teams to bring white shirts.

Now I can understand why no penalty was enforced for this.

Thanks
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
It all makes sense now, I didn't know that FIBA told both teams to bring white shirts.

Now I can understand why no penalty was enforced for this.

Thanks
The game sheets and the policy manual state that the team listed first is the home team. Lithuania was listed first and therefore, was the home team. However, an official was told before the semifinal game that the USA would wear white uni's in their next game, win or lose.

The USA visitor uniforms were packed for shipment back to the states. They were forced to return to the Queen Mary hote to get them.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

My Solution--

Couldn't they hit the souveneir stands and pick up some uni's out in the concourse--- granted they'd be a little overpriced, and you'd have to write their name on their back with Sharpie... but it could work.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Skins!

and just use the sharpie directly on their backs/chests

What's another tatoo to a basketball player?