The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My husband has been watching the US basketball team play in the Olympics, and he thinks the refs have let go a lot of what he calls "moving screens." For diplomatic reasons, I didn't explain the screening rules to him, until I watched a little of what he was talking about. I gotta admit, it did look like there was a lot of contact with motion on several screens that he showed me. Is this because the FIBA rules for screens are different? or because there are only two refs and they can't see it all? or are we just being fanboy and fangirl?
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 06:10pm
Administrator

The FIBA definition for guarding and screening are word-for-word the same as in the NFHS/NCAA rules books. It is just that the officials just do not call them as tight as we should be calling them.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

They got Tim Duncan!
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I say the following not because I'm on this board. Recently I watched a few Asian int'l games ref'd by FIBA. I noticed inconsistent mechanics, partners not communicating, ring on the finger, hesitant whistles & etc. I love the Amercian way better.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
... ring on the finger
???

What is wrong with the ring on the finger?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Not all Fiba referees are of the same high standard and quality. Most probably the USA Fiba referees are better than the Australian Fiba referees and most probably the Australian Fiba referees are better than the Samoan Fiba referees, and so on, and so on. That is probably why standards are different from all over the world. Thats maybe why when they all get together at one venue, the different standards are noticeable. I was told by an English Fiba referee that when you get two different international referees in Europe to do a game, there is so much ego and baggage that goes into the game. Can you imagine three from three different countries?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
... ring on the finger
???

What is wrong with the ring on the finger?
Robmoz,
Cardinal Principles: 18.n Do not wear jewelry during the game. - Officials Manual [Prerequisites for Good Officiating]

(Sidenote: Wedding rings are acceptable.)

mick

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Robmoz,
Cardinal Principles: 18.n Do not wear jewelry during the game. - Officials Manual [Prerequisites for Good Officiating]

mick

[/B]
Where is that sidenote printed Mick?

Z
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Robmoz,

mick

Z [/B]
I take mine off. Doesn't seem right to tell them they have to, but we don't.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Robmoz,

mick

Z
I take mine off. Doesn't seem right to tell them they have to, but we don't. [/B]
Z,
I dunno. I'll look for it.
Didn't make it U.P.
Doesn't affect me, cuz I don't wear a wedding band anymore unless I get dressed up, ... 3 times a year maybe.
34 years on 9/19.
mick

Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Robmoz,

mick

Z
I take mine off. Doesn't seem right to tell them they have to, but we don't. [/B]
Our role in the game is quite different than the role of players.

• The odds of me getting my wedding ring stuck in the net are absolutely zero. Even if I did jump choose to jump up towards the rim for some reason, I'd use my other hand and wouldn't even reach the rim.

• The players are reaching for the ball in crowded dynamic situations where they often make contact with other players. This may injure either player if the ring hits someone or gets caught. As officials, we're never in that situation.

For players, it's simply a safety issue. Since none is permitted, no other issues matter.

For officials, it's not generally a safety issue. It's a professionalism issue. If it were not discouraged or limited to basic simple wedding bands, you'd have some a few officials out there looking like Mr. T. Instead of seeing who's shoes were the shiniest, we'd have people putting on a full fashion show....2-3 earrings, an assorment of necklaces, etc.
    Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 02:47pm
    cingram

I'm not fully decided on the wedding band issue.

For the most part I'll do what my partners do or what the assignors recommend. At most I will only wear my wedding band, the engagement ring stays at home.
    Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 10:12pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust
  • The players are reaching for the ball in crowded dynamic situations where they often make contact with other players. This may injure either player if the ring hits someone or gets caught. As officials, we're never in that situation
  • While I agree that it's rare, I don't think it's "never". I have seen officials nearly hit a player in the face while giving a signal. I've seen officials reach into a pile of players to break up a scuffle. I would hate to give a signal and accidentally chip a kid's tooth.

I agree that for officials, it is primarily an issue of professionalism, but there might be a safety aspect too. And like I said, it just doesn't seem fair to tell the kids that they can't wear any jewelry at all, but I can.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Sep 10th, 2004 at 07:30 AM]
    Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 11:16pm
    Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
    Quote:
    I agree that for officials, it is primarily an issue of professional, but there might be a safety aspect too. And like I said, it just doesn't seem fair to tell the kids that they can't wear any jewelry at all, but I can.
    Agreed. My ring stays with my watch... in the locker until after the game.

Z
    Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 04:50pm
    Official Forum Member

Also FIBA used two-man officiating. For major tournaments, the US sends NBA officials who are tighter at calling screens. Europe has the ULEB-FIBA dispute where FIBA won't let ULEB officials call the games. ULEB has Europe's top leagues, which are televised in the US.

Any ULEB official is not permitted to work an FIBA game. However, in NBA-ULEB matches, ULEB officials work alongside NBA officials.

Bobby
    Deut 31:6-8