The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

A1 is set to make a throw in after a made basket. He is running the baseline. When the count gets to 4, he panics and calls a timeout. My question is: after the timeout, can the player making the throwin still run the baseline or is he subject to a spot throwin? I would say definitely yes but a veteran official at our meeting last night, who brought up this scenario, said that the player had lost his right to run the baseline when he called the timeout. To me, that is totally absurd. Who is right and who is wrong. If he was right, then maybe we should start the count at 4 when the throwin resumes.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 04:30pm
Suppref

Found it!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
A1 is set to make a throw in after a made basket. He is running the baseline. When the count gets to 4, he panics and calls a timeout. My question is: after the timeout, can the player making the throwin still run the baseline or is he subject to a spot throwin? I would say definitely yes but a veteran official at our meeting last night, who brought up this scenario, said that the player had lost his right to run the baseline when he called the timeout. To me, that is totally absurd. Who is right and who is wrong. If he was right, then maybe we should start the count at 4 when the throwin resumes.

7.5.7B NFHS.
Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the edn line following the time out.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 04:43pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
a veteran official

It's amazing how many "veterans" have no clue as to the rules...

Furthermore, I am amazed at how many officials in general do not spend any time studying the rules. I am far from being a bookworm, but at least I know the rules! We had a situation we were discussing the other night with some officials and ones response was "I've never heard of that." I can't remember what it was, but I know that it was something right out of the rule book. So, I said, "You know, you might consider reading the rule book." in half-jest. We laughed about it, but I hope that the point was made!

I wasn't very good at knowing the rules my first year, but after about 3-4 times where I felt that what we were doing was wrong, but didn't know it was wrong (I was just going with my partners only later to look up the rule and find that we screwed it up) - I vowed to read and understand the rules!

Don't be dependant on anyone else - know the rules!
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Bradley, this is my 5th year and I've worked real hard to try to get it right. I've been calling Varsity with no problems all year long to this point and now that we're down to district play, I'm back to doing jr high and freshman, jv games. The reason is, all officials in this area under 6 years experience are automatically scratched by most coaches for district play. No one is to blame, that is just the way it is but it is a real bummer. I'm tuned up, charged up, and ready to go and I'm leaving right now for some jr high games. The thing tat really hurts is that we have all these veterans who are getting all the best games because of seniority not because they are better or in some cases even as good as newer officials. Bummer, thanks for letting me vent. Ralph.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 05:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Bradley is exactly right. I too, am amazed by the number of veteran officials I work with you mess up extremely simple and basic rules. While you can't expect everyone to be 100% correct every time, it is not reasonable to expect a long-time veteran to know at least the most common rules.

Of course a player does not lose his right to run the endline because there was a timeout. The same goes for after a delay warning for a boundary violation.

I would say that the number of officials who don't know this is roughly equal to the number of coaches who think a player can always run the endline on all throwins on the endline, including spot throwins.

I actually had one 10 year vet tell me last year that a team couldn't inbound into their backcourt from their endline! This same guy also thought the clock would start after a miss on the last free throw in a sequence when the ball hit the floor untouched and chopped it that way twice in the same game (I was watching - not reffing with him, but I asked him about it after the game).

Oy.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I have been doing this for few years, and I have taken some grief for it.

I try to get to my sites early. In the time before my partner gets there, I read 1 rule or a section from the case book. I go in no particular order, unless I had something odd the day before.

Some "veterens" are put off take it for not being prepared, I feel it is making me more prepared. This allaows me to get my head into the rules and mind on the game. Also, if you have a tardy partner it helps you focus, instead of worry about the time and short pre-game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Amen!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I have been doing this for few years, and I have taken some grief for it.

I try to get to my sites early. In the time before my partner gets there, I read 1 rule or a section from the case book. I go in no particular order, unless I had something odd the day before.

Some "veterens" are put off take it for not being prepared, I feel it is making me more prepared. This allaows me to get my head into the rules and mind on the game. Also, if you have a tardy partner it helps you focus, instead of worry about the time and short pre-game.
I am with you Brian (and Bradley)... My rules book is tattered at the edges....

I attended the local assoc meeting Wed.; it was my 1st ever, because I never knew where & when they met. I happened to talk to another association member who inadvertently mentioned it. That in itself says something about how "recruitment is lacking". I brought this up at the meeting and discussion was held in reguards to recruitment AND retainment of new officials.

Anyway, back to my original thought, I noticed many of the "Vets" did not have their books and many others had books that appeared like they had never been opened.