The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know that dunking in warmups is a technical foul but i dont know exactly what happens after that. Is there even a jumpball or do u just give the technical foul shots and the ball to the offended team and the possesion arrow goes to the team who got the technical.

I hope somone can clarify this for me
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizket786
I know that dunking in warmups is a technical foul but i dont know exactly what happens after that. Is there even a jumpball or do u just give the technical foul shots and the ball to the offended team and the possesion arrow goes to the team who got the technical.

I hope somone can clarify this for me
Dunking during warm-up is a technical foul. The foul counts toward the personal foul count and two technical limit on the team member who dunked, a team foul is recorded, an indirect foul is charged to the coach who must now remain seated for the contest. The game begins by administration of the free throws for the technical foul followed by a throw-in by the team offended The arrow is set toward the team that got the technical upon putting the ball at the disposal of the offended team.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Anyone remember the story from about 5-6 years ago in Idaho where some kids didn't like their coach?
I think it was Indiana, but I could be wrong.

BTW, as might be expected, the answer to the original question is somewhat different for NCAA and NBA. In NCAA, dunking in pre-game is a technical foul, but the game would be continued from the point of interruption, which would be the jump ball.

In the NBA, dunking in pre-game is completely legal.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Anyone remember the story from about 5-6 years ago in Idaho where some kids didn't like their coach?

BTW, as might be expected, the answer to the original question is somewhat different for NCAA and NBA. In NCAA, dunking in pre-game is a technical foul, but the game would be continued from the point of interruption, which would be the jump ball.

Anyone know what the rule is for FIBA?
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Yeah, you're definitely wrong. It was Idaho. Any spud refs around that remember this? [/B][/QUOTE]
"I could be wrong" was my attempt at humility, but since you want to be blunt, I'm quite sure that when I posted that story on this board 2 years ago, and when I posted it on the McGriff's board over 6 years ago, the incident occurred in Indiana.

Now, if you're 110% positive ( )that it also happened in Idaho, I can live with that. However, since humility is no longer an issue, I was not wrong in my previous post.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know what the rule is for FIBA?
Yes

Dunking in warm-ups is legal.
Hanging on the ring is not.
If a T is awarded before the beginning of a half the period begins with the free throws and then a jump ball.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

That is funny.

Quote:

Three of them dunked in warmups on purpose to get coached ejected prior to the start. It was rather witty on their part I thought to know that much about the rules.

Coach got the last laugh. All three were kicked off the team the next day.

The story even made it on to ESPN.com.
I did not hear that. Those were some savvy kids.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Idaho...Indiana....Idaho....Indiana.....say it a few times and they become the same place....One place has the salt lake and the other place uses the salt lick. [/B]
The Great Salt Lake is actually in Idaho's neighbor to the south, Utah.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Actually I realized it about 30 seconds after posting and then deleted it.....either way thanks whistleone for helping and as to you Bushref, well I won't get into name-calling with you.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Robmoz realized he dextered up after you posted that correction and pulled his post. Idiot.
I think BushRef is asking for a geography quiz!!! He expects everyone else to know their geography.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

As someone pointed out to me a month or so ago, dunking in warm-ups in NCAA womens is legal due to the wording of the rule.