The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dunking in warmups (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15119-dunking-warmups.html)

Bizket786 Thu Aug 26, 2004 01:39pm

I know that dunking in warmups is a technical foul but i dont know exactly what happens after that. Is there even a jumpball or do u just give the technical foul shots and the ball to the offended team and the possesion arrow goes to the team who got the technical.

I hope somone can clarify this for me

MOFFICIAL Thu Aug 26, 2004 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bizket786
I know that dunking in warmups is a technical foul but i dont know exactly what happens after that. Is there even a jumpball or do u just give the technical foul shots and the ball to the offended team and the possesion arrow goes to the team who got the technical.

I hope somone can clarify this for me

Dunking during warm-up is a technical foul. The foul counts toward the personal foul count and two technical limit on the team member who dunked, a team foul is recorded, an indirect foul is charged to the coach who must now remain seated for the contest. The game begins by administration of the free throws for the technical foul followed by a throw-in by the team offended The arrow is set toward the team that got the technical upon putting the ball at the disposal of the offended team.

ChuckElias Thu Aug 26, 2004 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BushRef
Anyone remember the story from about 5-6 years ago in Idaho where some kids didn't like their coach?
I think it was Indiana, but I could be wrong.

BTW, as might be expected, the answer to the original question is somewhat different for NCAA and NBA. In NCAA, dunking in pre-game is a technical foul, but the game would be continued from the point of interruption, which would be the jump ball.

In the NBA, dunking in pre-game is completely legal.

oc Thu Aug 26, 2004 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Anyone remember the story from about 5-6 years ago in Idaho where some kids didn't like their coach?

BTW, as might be expected, the answer to the original question is somewhat different for NCAA and NBA. In NCAA, dunking in pre-game is a technical foul, but the game would be continued from the point of interruption, which would be the jump ball.

Anyone know what the rule is for FIBA?

ChuckElias Thu Aug 26, 2004 08:56pm

Quote:

Yeah, you're definitely wrong. It was Idaho. Any spud refs around that remember this? [/B][/QUOTE]
"I could be wrong" was my attempt at humility, but since you want to be blunt, I'm quite sure that when I posted that story on this board 2 years ago, and when I posted it on the McGriff's board over 6 years ago, the incident occurred in Indiana.

Now, if you're 110% positive ( ;) )that it also happened in Idaho, I can live with that. However, since humility is no longer an issue, I was not wrong in my previous post.

Oz Referee Thu Aug 26, 2004 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone know what the rule is for FIBA?

Yes :D

Dunking in warm-ups is legal.
Hanging on the ring is not.
If a T is awarded before the beginning of a half the period begins with the free throws and then a jump ball.

PS2Man Thu Aug 26, 2004 09:49pm

That is funny.

Quote:

Three of them dunked in warmups on purpose to get coached ejected prior to the start. It was rather witty on their part I thought to know that much about the rules.

Coach got the last laugh. All three were kicked off the team the next day.

The story even made it on to ESPN.com.

I did not hear that. Those were some savvy kids.

whistleone Fri Aug 27, 2004 09:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by Robmoz
Idaho...Indiana....Idaho....Indiana.....say it a few times and they become the same place....One place has the salt lake and the other place uses the salt lick. [/B]
The Great Salt Lake is actually in Idaho's neighbor to the south, Utah.

Robmoz Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:02am

Actually I realized it about 30 seconds after posting and then deleted it.....either way thanks whistleone for helping and as to you Bushref, well I won't get into name-calling with you.

Camron Rust Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:34am

Quote:

Robmoz realized he dextered up after you posted that correction and pulled his post. Idiot.
I think BushRef is asking for a geography quiz!!! :D He expects everyone else to know their geography.

Nevadaref Sat Aug 28, 2004 01:35am

Quote:

Quote:

As someone pointed out to me a month or so ago, dunking in warm-ups in NCAA womens is legal due to the wording of the rule.