The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I was watching the Tenn - Kentucky game last night. Tenn. Player had a spot throw in, has brain freeze, and runs the baseline. The ref gets him for it. My question is what is the Proper Visual signal. I was surprised because the ref used a Travelling signal (which it is not, it's a spot throw in violation).
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I point to the line, give a verbal signal, then point in the direction the ball should be going.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
I was watching the Tenn - Kentucky game last night. Tenn. Player had a spot throw in, has brain freeze, and runs the baseline. The ref gets him for it. My question is what is the Proper Visual signal. I was surprised because the ref used a Travelling signal (which it is not, it's a spot throw in violation).
Who was the ref? I'm sure it's because the conference assignor does NOT care if he has the proper mechanics...just that he gets the call correct, right guys???
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The official who signalled travelling on a throw in violation was John Clougherty. Another official (I don't know his name) incorrectly called an over and back when the Vols through in from under their basket and the ball grazed their player's hands before he retrieved it in the backcourt. One of his partners got that call corrected but Dick Vitale was going off on the replay saying he got the call right. I wish the announcers would learn the rules or shut up.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Hmmm....

Quote:
The official who signalled travelling on a throw in violation was John Clougherty.
Hmm, isn't he high-profile?? And he didn't know the mechanic...interesting...

Quote:
Another official (I don't know his name) incorrectly called an over and back when the Vols through in from under their basket and the ball grazed their player's hands before he retrieved it in the backcourt.
Had to be either Jim Burr, or Doug Shows. I KNOW Burr is high profile!! Don't know anything about Shows. So, considering the call was overturned, was it more important for that they got the call right? Or were they worried about hurting each other's feelings??

Quote:
...but Dick Vitale was going off on the replay saying he got the call right.
What did you expect from Dickie V.? He was a coach...we all know coaches don't know the rules!!!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

This same situation happened to me last night.

Team A was inbounding the ball under there basket and I called a 5 second violation on the inbound. Right after I blew the whistle for the violation, the player on Team A signaled for a time-out to avoid the violation.

I faced the benches and verbally announced the 5 second violation, but the gym was pretty loud and it might not have been heard by Team A's bench (visiting team).

Team B then signaled for a time-out and I granted it. My partner then informed me that Team A might not have been aware that I called a violation on them, and they thought I was giving them the time-out.

I explained the situation to Team A's coach - with no problems. My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could have made this more clear to begin with? Maybe I should have reported the violation to the bench as I would during a foul?

Thanks!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
The official who signalled travelling on a throw in violation was John Clougherty.
Hmm, isn't he high-profile?? And he didn't know the mechanic...interesting...

Not only that but he blew the call. The UT player did NOT move much at all. The left only move a matter of inches to the left and the right foot then stepped arcoss it, to the left, a couple of feet. No way he left the 3 foot box.---And I'm a Kentucky fan. UT got short changed there.

Quote:

Quote:
Another official (I don't know his name) incorrectly called an over and back when the Vols through in from under their basket and the ball grazed their player's hands before he retrieved it in the backcourt.
Had to be either Jim Burr, or Doug Shows. I KNOW Burr is high profile!! Don't know anything about Shows. So, considering the call was overturned, was it more important for that they got the call right? Or were they worried about hurting each other's feelings??
It was Doug Shows that made the initial (incorrect) call.

Quote:

Quote:
...but Dick Vitale was going off on the replay saying he got the call right.
What did you expect from Dickie V.? He was a coach...we all know coaches don't know the rules!!!
While he doesn't know them all, he knows the rules better than most.

Another blown call in that game that also went against UT was the traveling called by Jim Burr where a UT player dove for a lose ball and slid as he controlled it. A travel was called while he was still sliding.

It's calls like these that are not correct that make our lives more difficult than they ought to be.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

Another blown call in that game that also went against UT was the traveling called by Jim Burr where a UT player dove for a lose ball and slid as he controlled it. A travel was called while he was still sliding.

It's calls like these that are not correct that make our lives more difficult than they ought to be. [/B]
It's calls like these that make me believe that I CAN make it to that "promised land" after all!!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos
This same situation happened to me last night.

Team A was inbounding the ball under there basket and I called a 5 second violation on the inbound. Right after I blew the whistle for the violation, the player on Team A signaled for a time-out to avoid the violation.

I faced the benches and verbally announced the 5 second violation, but the gym was pretty loud and it might not have been heard by Team A's bench (visiting team).

Team B then signaled for a time-out and I granted it. My partner then informed me that Team A might not have been aware that I called a violation on them, and they thought I was giving them the time-out.

I explained the situation to Team A's coach - with no problems. My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could have made this more clear to begin with? Maybe I should have reported the violation to the bench as I would during a foul?

Thanks!
When you call the 5, blow the whistle long and hard to get everyones attention while stepping out and then, after a brief pause, strongly say "5 seconds....Blue ball" (assuming B is blue) and emphatically point blue's direction. WHen B requests the time out, clearly blow the whistle again and state "Time-out blue."
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

The travelling signal is a mechanic in international rules.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
Yes, but momentum is NOT traveling!!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 03:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
Yes, but momentum is NOT traveling!!
He wasn't commenting on the traveling call for sliding, he was commenting on the original post that stated a ref used the traveling signal for an inbound violation.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
When you call the 5, blow the whistle long and hard to get everyone's attention while stepping out and then, after a brief pause, strongly say "5 seconds....Blue ball" (assuming B is blue) and emphatically point blue's direction. When B requests the time out, clearly blow the whistle again and state "Time-out blue." [/B]
I agree and add that I have observed some strongly say "5 seconds....Blue ball" AND point at the palm of the raised open hand. (Then on with the Time-out mechanics....)