The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rule 9-1-4. The free thrower shall not fake a try...

Has anyone ever called this? Give details.

Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Never seen it.

Accept for the Harlem Globetrotters.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Only in youth basketball. A 10-11 year old on the first of two. Tweet, second shot. It was very blatant. A blind person could have called it. Oh! I forgot that is us.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Juulie, I've never called it nor seen it called. However, this reminds me of a college player I knew who had an unusual technique in shooting free throws. He would shoot the FT in 2 movements - he would first tense his body into a shooting position (sort of get set), pause ever so slightly, then shoot. I always wondered if an official could construe this as a fake - but I never saw it called on him. Thoughts?
__________________________________________________ _______
"One moment you're waiting for the sky to fall; the next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all"
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nope, but in the Vegas tournament I had to warn a kid along the lane for faking. He took a jab step three times, but was a defender and the FT went in. I'd never had that in a game before.

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Juulie, I've never called it nor seen it called. However, this reminds me of a college player I knew who had an unusual technique in shooting free throws. He would shoot the FT in 2 movements - he would first tense his body into a shooting position (sort of get set), pause ever so slightly, then shoot. I always wondered if an official could construe this as a fake - but I never saw it called on him. Thoughts?
"One moment you're waiting for the sky to fall; the next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all"
If he uses this motion consistently it is legal. If he does this just every once in a while, it would be a violation.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
[B]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
If he uses this motion consistently it is legal. If he does this just every once in a while, it would be a violation.
He used it consistently. It worked well for him. Of course, I believe Meadowlark Lemon used his technique consistently too.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 05:49am
Huck Finn

I haven't seen a fake but I did have a partner call a violation for a player putting the ball on the floor. The player was going through some ritual where he gets the ball from the official, sets it on the floor in front of the line and rubs his hands together or something before picking it up to shoot. IMHO this is just another example of things players do today that make no sense to me.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I haven't seen a fake but I did have a partner call a violation for a player putting the ball on the floor. The player was going through some ritual where he gets the ball from the official, sets it on the floor in front of the line and rubs his hands together or something before picking it up to shoot. IMHO this is just another example of things players do today that make no sense to me.
What was the partner's basis for the call?
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 08:45am
Huck Finn

He said it was a violation. Now that I think about it he either said it was because it was over the line or because he put it down. Either way, it wasn't a shot attempt and players dribble the ball for a free throw in front of the line almost every time. I probably would have left it alone especially since I was the C and he was the TRAIL on this play!

[Edited by tomegun on Aug 12th, 2004 at 09:48 AM]
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He said it was a violation. Now that I think about it he either said it was because it was over the line or because he put it down. Either way, it wasn't a shot attempt and players dribble the ball for a free throw in front of the line almost every time. I probably would have left it alone especially since I was the C and he was the TRAIL on this play!
I think you did it right. I can't see any violation here. The only real question is, did it work? I mean, players often develop these little rituals, which are supposed to help their percentages. If the shot doesn't go, it's probably not a very good ritual to stick with! It doesn't make him look cool, it makes him look stupid!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:06am
Huck Finn

We didn't get a chance to see if it worked or not.

I don't like the rituals, in baseball either. How many batting champions have a crazy stance? Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs had normal stances.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I called a fake FT in a rec league game at the YMCA. Player was frustrated because of blowout. He asked "how do you know it's a fake"? In this case, I'd seen the knucklehead shoot FTs enough to know it was a fake.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

We had a JV girl who would shoot the ball about 1-2 feet above her head to practice her form, then shoot the ball. She got away with it until the end of the season. When refs finally made her quit, she bricked every FT.

As for baseball stances, Craig Counsell wins for most bizarre. How in the heck did he ever start that?

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think you did it right. I can't see any violation here. The only real question is, did it work? I mean, players often develop these little rituals, which are supposed to help their percentages. If the shot doesn't go, it's probably not a very good ritual to stick with! It doesn't make him look cool, it makes him look stupid!
tomegun,
That FT shooter didn't break any rule. The C should just keep the ten second count going. The T should stay the #^@&^% out of it, especially if he has no idea what he is calling.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
We had a JV girl who would shoot the ball about 1-2 feet above her head to practice her form, then shoot the ball. She got away with it until the end of the season. When refs finally made her quit, she bricked every FT.

As for baseball stances, Craig Counsell wins for most bizarre. How in the heck did he ever start that?
Hmm, If I didn't know better, I'd say you were someone I know. Beacuse Last year, our JV tream had a girl who did the exact same thing. Our scorer asked a refereee about it during a game, just to see if that was legal or not, and I think the reply was as long as she did it all the time, he likely wouldn't call it.

Of course every official may have a differing opinion. YMMV

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball