The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

I have a question about a call that we made tonight in a game. This was a 3rd and 4th grade pee wee game. One member of team A rebounded a ball in their front court and took off dribbling the wrong way. I don't know what I was thinking, but neither me nor my partner realized he was going the wrong way until he had shot and made the lay up on the other end. After he shot, team A's coach got our attention and pointed out he went the wrong way and it should have been a back court violation, which was correct. My question is, since we missed the violation to begin with, do you go with two points for team B, since it was shot in their basket and give team A the ball, or do you go back and call the back court and give team B the ball at half court? Also, I don't know how many of you have dealings with calling pee wee games, but, for those of you who do, how closely do you call it, and are their any aspects that you might be more lenient on than others? Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Angry

By the book, eat the egg off your face for missing the back-court and count the bucket. OTOH, depending on the attitudes in your league, you can sometimes just straighten out the mess by killing the whole play and giving team B the ball at mid-court. Either way there are lessons for the ref's....

I help run a church league with three age groups covering 8-14 year olds. In the 8-10 year olds I teach my ref's to ignore "dexterity" violations, but call all "mental" violations. For example, every one of them walk when starting or stopping, and the girls often "bunny-hop" before a shot. We ignore this. When they take off running with the ball instead of dribbling, we call it. When they start moving their feet while trying to figure out what to do with the ball, I try to get all those walks called. We call the double dribbles. Three in the key is of course more like 5.

I try to get all the fouls called, because they really learn on this. However, we do ignore contact on the hand or very light arm contact after the ball is away. (You have to do something to not blow the whistle every 2 seconds.)

For the older levels, it is much like junior high where you ignore small travels in order to keep the game moving.

Hope this helps. You can see our notes and rule changes by clicking on the basketball at http://www.srbible.org.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 11:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

3rd and 4th grade huh?

If there is EVER a time to cancel the basket, and give the team the ball as a result of the O and B, this is it!

No basket. B throw-in. Throw the egg off and laugh with the coaches. If they're bitching at you, they're in it for the wrong reason.

..Mike

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 17th, 2001 at 10:03 AM]