The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

We all know there are some rules that hardly ever get applied because the play they govern hardly ever happens. My point in this post is to remind everyone that they can happen at any time and you have to be aware of them. I know - because I had two in one game.

Opening tip, A1 catches ball after each jumper had tapped the ball but before it hit the ground or was touched by anyone else. This is that goofy call where team B gets the ball OOB due to the violation, but because, under NF rules, A1 established first possession by catching the ball, team B also gets the AP arrow. I had to explain this to both coaches and my partner.

Later, A1 has ball in backcourt. He passes to A2 who is standing with both feet barely in frontcourt while facing backwards toward A1. The ball hits A2 in the hands, bounces down and hits the division line, then is grabbed by A2 who hasn't moved his feet. I call over and back. Coach A explodes, tells me I "don't know the rule" (yeah, right) and throws his clipboard. T time.

In that same game, I also had an illegal substitution, a "wedgie" on the second free throw of a two shot foul (only the second time in my career I've seen a wedgie on a free throw) and a pass hitting a defensive player on the shoulder then bouncing into the basket.

And it wasn't even a full moon.