The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

When you have a back court violation, where do you put the ball in play? In the past I have put it in play at center court, but I've been wondering whether I should put the ball in play nearest to the spot that the team committing the violation touched the ball. What say you?

Since I am asking for freebies, help me with this. A1 leaves the floor in the act of shooting, returns to floor while ball is passing through hoop. Immediately upon returning to the floor, he is pushed by B1. No one has touched the ball which is rolling beyond base line. 1) Is this a "dead ball foul" or a foul in the act of shooting? I guess that would determine the penalty i.e. bonus free throw or take ball out of bounds at nearest spot of foul, or give A1 a one and one if the team is in the bonus. It seems to me the latte would really get the juices flowing on the bench and in the stands. Any comments?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
After a backcourt violation the ball shold be put in play at the out of bounds spot nearest the violation.

If the shooter has returned to the floor, he/she is no longer an airborn shooter and the foul will not be a shooting foul. This could possibly result in a 5 point play, where the shooter makes a three and then is fouled after he/she returns to the floor and is awarded a 1-1 or 2 throws. If you want to get strung up call that one at the buzzer in a 4 point game.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
After a backcourt violation the ball shold be put in play at the out of bounds spot nearest the violation.

If the shooter has returned to the floor, he/she is no longer an airborn shooter and the foul will not be a shooting foul. This could possibly result in a 5 point play, where the shooter makes a three and then is fouled after he/she returns to the floor and is awarded a 1-1 or 2 throws. If you want to get strung up call that one at the buzzer in a 4 point game.
I'd just add that if the contact (push by B) happened after the ball went through the basket, it must (by rule) be ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant.

Even if it happened before the ball went in, I'd tend to ignore it (no a/d), unless it was pretty "serious" (and, I know, that term's not in the rules book).
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Is that the same play? I've tried to talk to some friends about that - what constitutes "the same play"? I think the fact that the shooter has returned to the floor ends that play. Any foul after that is another play. And, once the ball enters the basket, and the shooter is on the ground, and before the ball is at the disposal of the team scroed upon, is it not a dead ball period. So, contact is ignored unless intentional or flagrant, n'est pas?

..Mike

P.S.: I've always thought a 5 point play is an intentional foul on a made 3-pointer while still in the act of shooting. Are there others?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Is that the same play? I've tried to talk to some friends about that - what constitutes "the same play"? I think the fact that the shooter has returned to the floor ends that play. Any foul after that is another play. And, once the ball enters the basket, and the shooter is on the ground, and before the ball is at the disposal of the team scroed upon, is it not a dead ball period. So, contact is ignored unless intentional or flagrant, n'est pas?

Mais, oui.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
uhhay?!?!?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 06:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

As stated above, you put the ball in play at the spot nearest the violation. I have had partners try to place the spot on the sideline in the offending teams frontcourt (when the violation was right at the division line), but I remind them that if that is the correct spot, then there was no violation.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
It seems to me the latte would really get the juices flowing on the bench and in the stands. Any comments?
Yes, latte is what I use in the morning to get the juices flowing!