View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
After a backcourt violation the ball shold be put in play at the out of bounds spot nearest the violation.

If the shooter has returned to the floor, he/she is no longer an airborn shooter and the foul will not be a shooting foul. This could possibly result in a 5 point play, where the shooter makes a three and then is fouled after he/she returns to the floor and is awarded a 1-1 or 2 throws. If you want to get strung up call that one at the buzzer in a 4 point game.
Is that the same play? I've tried to talk to some friends about that - what constitutes "the same play"? I think the fact that the shooter has returned to the floor ends that play. Any foul after that is another play. And, once the ball enters the basket, and the shooter is on the ground, and before the ball is at the disposal of the team scroed upon, is it not a dead ball period. So, contact is ignored unless intentional or flagrant, n'est pas?

..Mike

P.S.: I've always thought a 5 point play is an intentional foul on a made 3-pointer while still in the act of shooting. Are there others?