The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Angry

Is it just me or do some of you every once in a while just have a plain ole bad game?
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Is it just me or do some of you every once in a while just have a plain ole bad game?
It's just you.

Actually, it happens to EVERYBODY.

The major difference is what bothers you, that makes you consider it a bad game. When you are new it's kicking a few calls or mis-applying a rule. When you have done it for awhile you start worrying about things like, I wish I'd have held my whistle on that play, or we should have called it tighter early.

The only thing that matters is learning from it.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep. I have them. Any official that claims otherwise is telling a lie.

The good part is that you recognize that you've had a bad game. There are too many officials that think they walk on water even when they have a bad game. They never get better and they wonder why they don't move up.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes its not your fault, I've had horrible games where the teams are just playing badly.

I've had games where i wasn't into it and I missed a few calls, and that made it a bad game.

I've had games where my partner didn't make any calls and by the 2nd quarter I had to wander from my primary coverage area into theirs. That makes a bad game.

It's one thing that you can never eliminate. You can try to prevent it through a good pre-game, but you'll always have them. Just learn from your mistakes and move on.

My biggest problem is that when i have a bad game, I tend to dwell on that one game for a long time, distracting me from the things at hand.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

One more thing to add...

Everyone has bad games. The difference that makes some great is that they just have few of them.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Just you.

We have all had them, but most of the time no one knows it but you or your partners. And having a bad game does not mean you missed a bunch of calls. You just might not be as sharp or blow the whistle at the right time.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

most of the time no one knows it but you or your partners.
Or the evaluator that always happens to show up during your bad games
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
One more thing to add...

Everyone has bad games. The difference that makes some great is that they just have few of them.
What separates the greats from the wannabes is LEARNING, GROWING, ADJUSTING. If you can go home and sort it out, and do better next time, you'll end up great. That's just a general rule of life.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Well this is what happened... It was a very close game and the president was sitting in on this game. (I was nervious). I have a parent who is not even a coach standing up hollaring at me saying he beted a lot of money for this game so he couldent afford to loose it. I didnt see anything that gave the other team an advantage or I may have missed one or two fouls. I mean the president has to understand that you cant see everything on the floor. He was in the bleachers so yeah he could see more.

[Edited by brandan89 on Jul 29th, 2004 at 03:25 AM]
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 07:49am
cingram

Quote:
Well this is what happened... It was a very close game and the president was sitting in on this game. (I was nervious). I have a parent who is not even a coach standing up hollaring at me saying he beted a lot of money for this game so he couldent afford to loose it. I didnt see anything that gave the other team an advantage or I may have missed one or two fouls. I mean the president has to understand that you cant see everything on the floor. He was in the bleachers so yeah he could see more.

[Edited by brandan89 on Jul 29th, 2004 at 03:25 AM]
Brandon,

In my career I've had bad games, I've had one terrible game that made me wonder why I was doing this, I've had great games, and I've had one awesome game where the losing coach came up and congratulated me (Site Administrator was shocked). Most games fall in the middle.

As you are just starting up, no matter how many games you've done in the past few months your President is not looking for you to be perfect. They were likely there to see how you handle yourself in the game.

Ignoring the parent - why is he yelling at you, shouldn't he be encouraging his team to play better? - How do you feel about the game? What can you learn from it? Were you out of position on the fouls you may have missed? How was your positioning and hustle? Did you kick any calls? Why? Were you on the same page as your partner?

Have fun in the upcoming season!
Christina
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
As you are just starting up, no matter how many games you've done in the past few months your President is not looking for you to be perfect. They were likely there to see how you handle yourself in the game.

Ignoring the parent - why is he yelling at you, shouldn't he be encouraging his team to play better? - How do you feel about the game? What can you learn from it? Were you out of position on the fouls you may have missed? How was your positioning and hustle? Did you kick any calls? Why? Were you on the same page as your partner?

Christina
Great points, Christina.

Brandan -- I would have had the parent who was betting on the game tossed. Absolutely unconscionable.

Also, always remember that the observer in the stands CAN'T see more. If he could, we'd work from there and wouldn't need our gazelle swiftness and agility to be in the best position. It's important to keep this in mind, because when a coach or fan yell, you must remind yourself that they have very little credibility, simply because they are "out of position." They can't possibly see the game as clearly as you do.

What your president CAN see is perhaps one or two fouls that you missed (out of position) and how you handle various situations that arise.

Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I am surprised to hear that George Dubbya has an interest in basketball. But tell me, was it the president that made you nervous or those guys in the dark suits whispering into the cuffs of the suit coats?
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram

Christina
Great points, Christina.

Brandan -- I would have had the parent who was betting on the game tossed. Absolutely unconscionable.

Also, always remember that the observer in the stands CAN'T see more. If he could, we'd work from there and wouldn't need our gazelle swiftness and agility to be in the best position. It's important to keep this in mind, because when a coach or fan yell, you must remind yourself that they have very little credibility, simply because they are "out of position." They can't possibly see the game as clearly as you do.

What your president CAN see is perhaps one or two fouls that you missed (out of position) and how you handle various situations that arise.

Excellent points, the both of yous . But I do think the guy with the betting comment was just joking.

Not only do you have a better view than the fans/coaches, they are also biased. They are going to want every contact against their team to be a foul and expect any contact they're team creates to be nothing. And the most important thing you need to know about fans, they are complete idiots.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes

Excellent points, the both of yous . But I do think the guy with the betting comment was just joking.
You know, I thought of that. But this is the case of a joke that's not funny. Kinda like yelling, "Fire". Well, no, not that bad, but almost. Kids shouldn't even have to think for one second about the pressure that this would bring. It's completely out of line. IMO.