The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I am posting this for no other reason but to vent.
I got to my scheduled game before the visiting team did, stretched, talk to the coaches and tell them I am recovering from the flu, but will give it my all.
We start the Soph game, blow the toss, retoss, and then they take my partner to work the Fresh game, so I ref the game myself. I pull in both coaches, tell them that I can't see everything speech. Game gets real rough from the start. Players are taking full advantage of the fact I can't see everything. I don't know if I should be looking at the dribbler or try to be sure the post players don't start fighting. I have things relatively under control, calling fouls left and right doesn't seem to be doing anything, but there is no blood. A player ends up getting a flagrant foul, and while he is shooting his freethrows, my partner shows up. we work a couple of trips up and down and then there is a time out, he comes over and tells me that I am calling his area, and I need to concentrate on calling mine, I tell him I am sorry, but working almost an entire half myself has already given me some bad habits(this doesn't stop him from calling my area though). Half-time. As we are walking off the court, he tells me that 24 fouls were called in the first half, and we shouldn't call so many fouls. I explained to him, that if he is going to show up late not to tell me how to call the game, and pointed out that I had already ejected one player, and I was trying to keep things under control. The JV game, I don't think he called but 3 fouls, which is fine, I like to let 'em play, they were good and they could handle it, but I couldn't tell is he didn't see fouls, didn't think they were fouls, or just didn't call them. During half-time of this game he tells me that the fouls were 7-3, and we need to 'even it up' in the second half, I tell I only call the fouls I see, and walk off. I did something I am not very proud of, and I know I will hear it from you guys, but late in the second game and with the game pretty much decided, I was at the trail and the ball went OOB under the basket, he called it one way, I blew my fox 40 twice, and told him it is white ball, the crowd went nuts ragging on him, he stared at me for 2 minutes before inbounding the ball. I know it was wrong, and I would never do it again, I certaintly don't feel better about it, but I am pretty sure I won't see him again, he had stated to me that it was quite a trip for him, so I don't think he was working his part of town.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Mamma told me there'd be days like these!

No one could blame you for "loosing it" a little after all that. Hey, chock it up to experience and then forget about it. Just think how much better your next "GOOD GAME" is going to feel!

Mike
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Everyone will have nights like this the best you can do is just focus in on what you are doing. since this was not going to be a team effort try to work on things you need to improve on during the game and atleast try to take someting positive away from it. Then go home and have a cold beverage of choice.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rookie--

Depending on how assignments are made in your area, you might consider reporting to your assignor what was said to you by the partner. I tattled on one particularly obnoxious partner once and I was glad I did. a) I felt better, knowing that it might be dealt with, and b) the response i got from the "powers that be" let me know that I was right to be concerned and I felt more confident about my own work. Think about it, and maybe ask around what would be appropriate.

juulie
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree with rainmaker. That guy should be reported. I have
requested from my assignor not to schedule games with one
particular person because of his antagonistic attitude
towards coaches & players. I explained to our assignor and
the pres. a particular game I had with him and I don't work with him anymore. Unless your parnter is weak you really should keep to your own area, you may be missing things that could blow up later. I will not call in front of may partner and dont like it when my partner is one of those who just follows the ball.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 08:47am
In Memoriam

Calling my line.

T'other night I worked with a 30 yr. vet.
Half the time I called a foul from Lead, he'd report the foul to the table. Made rotations a lot easier, which had to be his thought. It was nice that he was helping me out all the time. I checked every time he did that, and he definitely reported the same number I had.
At one point on a fast break 6' behind me, new lead opposite, the ball went OOB and he blew his whistle from new Trail bench side, before the ball touched OOB. My whistle was a full 1/2 second behind him because I was waiting for it to hit something/someone. I knew what he had, but I held up administering the ball and yelled, "What you got?, You have something off ball?".
A Ref/Fan sitting right there next to me said, "Gees, Mick; everyone in the gym knows it's out." I said "Yeah, but I was wondering what he had from 50' away on that baseline."
He laughed, and partner apologized for fishin' in my pond saying that he thought I may have not seen it because I was turning to get back. I do know he wasn't trying to show me up..., he was just helping out.
But, then, I need all the help I can get.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Unhappy Mick, it might make it easier, BUT...

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
T'other night I worked with a 30 yr. vet....he was just "helping out."
Great way to get lazy...and create problems for yourself later on! Also, a good way to start bad habits, too...but I know you already know this.

I, too, have a one guy I work with who is a 20-some year veteran. During our pre-games, he ALWAYS says, "Don't worry about the coaches tonight. I'll take care of them." To which I ALWAYS respond with, "Let me learn how to do that MYSELF! Don't take away an opportunity for me to learn how to handle a certain coach."