The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3-Point Shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14621-3-point-shot.html)

cford Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:35am

If a player goes up for a shot at the 3pt line and you don't get a very good look at their feet (straight-lined, transition, etc) how do you call it? I've been signaling 3 unless I know for a fact that they were on the line.

Adam Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by cford
If a player goes up for a shot at the 3pt line and you don't get a very good look at their feet (straight-lined, transition, etc) how do you call it? I've been signaling 3 unless I know for a fact that they were on the line.
I go the other way, and then try to learn from it and be in position the next time.

Camron Rust Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:04am

If you don't know, it's a 2.

ChuckElias Thu Jul 15, 2004 01:00pm

I'm with Camron

mick Thu Jul 15, 2004 01:14pm

I'm with Snaqwells.

Dan_ref Thu Jul 15, 2004 01:23pm

2 1/2 points.

Raise an arm & a half.

cford Thu Jul 15, 2004 03:30pm

I guess I figured the player is far enough out that it should be considered a 3 unless known otherwise (Innocent until proven guilty). By the way I'm talking about toeing the line not an obvious foot over.

I definitely try and be in position but sometimes it doesn't happen the way you excepted or I just get a bad look in transition.

Maybe I'll just follow Dan's advice :).

mick Thu Jul 15, 2004 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cford
I guess I figured the player is far enough out that it should be considered a 3 unless known otherwise (Innocent until proven guilty). By the way I'm talking about toeing the line not an obvious foot over.

I definitely try and be in position but sometimes it doesn't happen the way you excepted or I just get a bad look in transition.

Maybe I'll just follow Dan's advice :).

cford,
If ya miss it, if yer not sure, don't forget to glance at your partner who may have it.
mick

ChuckElias Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
2 1/2 points.

Raise an arm & a half.

Sigh. If you raise 2 arms for 3 points, then each arm must signify one and a half points. So if you raise an arm and a half, that's one and a half points plus another three-fourths of a point; making a total of two and a quarter points, not two and a half.

To signify 2 1/2 points, you'd need to raise an arm and two-thirds. Kids these days. . . sheesh.

Dan_ref Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

2 1/2 points.

Raise an arm & a half.

Sigh. If you raise 2 arms for 3 points, then each arm must signify one and a half points. So if you raise an arm and a half, that's one and a half points plus another three-fourths of a point; making a total of two and a quarter points, not two and a half.

To signify 2 1/2 points, you'd need to raise an arm and two-thirds. Kids these days. . . sheesh.

Ahhh...you're a theoritician.

I'm an engineer, maybe you can tell us how to raise an arm and 2/3? I mean a human arm of course.

ChuckElias Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:19pm

Quote:

I'm an engineer, maybe you can tell us how to raise an arm and 2/3? I mean a human arm of course.
Beats me. But if you can advise somebody to raise an arm and a half, then I can raise you one-sixth of an arm. :)

JugglingReferee Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:22pm

I'm All In - two arms and two legs.

ChuckElias Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I'm All In
Sounds like you been watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN

Quote:

- two arms and two legs.
that's gotta be at least a 6 point play! Don't see those very often.

Adam Fri Jul 16, 2004 08:14am

Actually, since we don't signal anything on a 2 point basket, the two arms really only signal the extra point. Since each arm signals half a point, then to signal 2.5 points, you should just raise one arm.

mick Fri Jul 16, 2004 08:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Actually, since we don't signal anything on a 2 point basket, the two arms really only signal the extra point. Since each arm signals half a point, then to signal 2.5 points, you should just raise one arm.

What Snaqwells said.