The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Big "X"... And It Counts!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14574-big-x-counts.html)

isneths Tue Jul 13, 2004 08:06am

Try this one on for size....

Last year @ a varsity game (FED rules), A1 makes a steal and is going for a breakaway. B1 intentionally fouls him - with appropriate mechanic made - and A1 makes the bucket. A1 was awarded three foul shots: one for the continuation and two for the intentional foul.

Should A1 have received only two shots regardless of the bucket being made? Does the same apply to a made three-point shot?

mick Tue Jul 13, 2004 08:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by isneths

Last year @ a varsity game (FED rules), A1 makes a steal and is going for a breakaway. B1 intentionally fouls him - with appropriate mechanic made - and A1 makes the bucket. A1 was awarded three foul shots: one for the continuation and two for the intentional foul.

Should A1 have received only two shots regardless of the bucket being made? Does the same apply to a made three-point shot?

isneths,
We only want to give two shots for a 2-try, made or missed, ...and the ball.
For a 3-try, let's give 'em two for a make and three for a miss, ...and the ball.
mick

Jay R Tue Jul 13, 2004 09:23am

Is this different in NCAA Men's?

ChuckElias Tue Jul 13, 2004 09:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
Nope. NCAA 10-23-2b.2, 10-23-2c

TimTaylor Tue Jul 13, 2004 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by isneths

If the foul by B1 is called as intentional (signal: closed fists, forearms crossed above head)
1. made basket by A1 counts if foul was in act of shooting - if shot attempt began after the foul then made basket is disallowed
2. A1 shoots 2 FT's with lane cleared
3. Team A gets ball for inbound at spot nearest infraction

The penalty for an intentional foul is the same as for a flagrant, with the exception that the player committing the foul is not automatically ejected.

Jay R Tue Jul 13, 2004 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Nope. NCAA 10-23-2b.2, 10-23-2c

Agreed, I had misread Mick's response.

BTW Chuck, in verifying this point, I found that Rule 10 only had 22 sections. How do you have a reference for 10-23?

ChuckElias Tue Jul 13, 2004 04:54pm

Quote:

I found that Rule 10 only had 22 sections. How do you have a reference for 10-23?
Hmmm, Jay, you may want to doublecheck that. Either that, or you have an out of date book. Section 23 describes the penalties for personal fouls. Section 24 gives a summary of how to administer double fouls.

Maybe you're looking at a FIBA book and I'm looking at NCAA?

Jay R Tue Jul 13, 2004 05:46pm

Quote:

Quote:

I found that Rule 10 only had 22 sections. How do you have a reference for 10-23?
Hmmm, Jay, you may want to doublecheck that. Either that, or you have an out of date book. Section 23 describes the penalties for personal fouls. Section 24 gives a summary of how to administer double fouls.

I'm definately not looking at the FIBA rulebook although I own one. I actually was looking at the NCAA rules on their website. Maybe it is your book that is out of date?

mick Tue Jul 13, 2004 06:16pm

Quote:

Maybe it is your book that is out of date?
Jay R,
The 2003 book only goes to 10-22.
mick

Jurassic Referee Tue Jul 13, 2004 06:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm definately not looking at the FIBA rulebook although I own one. I actually was looking at the NCAA rules on their website. Maybe it is your book that is out of date?

Chuck's book isn't out-of-date. R10-23 & R10-24 are on pages 140-144 of the latest NCAA rulebook- both written and on-line.

Jay R Tue Jul 13, 2004 08:50pm

Mystery solved. I had the NCAA rules on my Favorites icon and it kept opening up to the old version of the rules. I went through the NCAA website and got the updated version.

Nevadaref Wed Jul 14, 2004 04:35am

When I walked into the gym this past Saturday to work a couple of games at a tournament the game ahead of mine was in a TO. One of the officials doing the game saw me and asked if the bucket goes on an intentional foul how many shots do they give. I gave him two fingers.
He later told me that they had this play happen earlier in the game. His partner correctly convinced him to shoot 2.
He had to buy the post-game refreshments.