The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Seeing tomegun's reference to Speed, Balance, Quickness on another thread reminded me of this discussion at the camp I attended:

It was during a classroom session with this IAABO program that goes into a PowerPoint projector, and the operator can move the players, the refs and the ball around on the screen. We were talking about hand-checking and the teacher was trying to describe when to call it and when it was incidental contact. He asked what criteria we should use. I said, "Is this where SBQ comes in?" He looked at me funny and said, "WHAT!?" I said, "SBQ. Speed, Balance, Quickness. You call hand-checking if the contact affects the dribbler's speed, balance or quickness." He said, "I've never heard that before. That's good." And then he repeated it for the rest of the class.

So isn't SBQ a buzzword around everywhere? I think I got it off this board, didn't I? Why had this guy never heard of it?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Juulie, I think it's more a question of level/philosophy than it is of geographic area. The SBQ criteria have filtered down from the pro level. It's not a geographic buzzword as much as it is pro terminology. I picked up the SBQ guidelines from the USBL and the Nunn-Better camp. I've mentioned it here on the board a few times, so maybe that's where you heard it.

I like the SBQ mindset. I think it's just a little more concrete than "did it give the defender an advantage". JMO, as always.

Did you get extra brownie points for mentioning it?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The IAABO program is E-Court, and although i have never heard the SBQ term, I have been told by several evaluators that any contact on the dribbler in the backcourt is an automatic hand check. And I think that the SBQ principle summarizes that up nicely.

I just got rid of that line, seeing how it makes no sense.

[Edited by ref18 on Jul 12th, 2004 at 05:40 PM]
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The IAABO program is E-Court, and although i have never heard the SBQ term, I have been told by several evaluators that any contact on the dribbler in the backcourt is an automatic hand check. There should be no reason in a non-pressure situation for there to be any contact on the dribbler. And I think that the SBQ principle summarizes that up nicely.
How can you have a handcheck in the back court (or any defensive contact for that matter) in a non-pressure situation?

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Dan, thanks for not making me ask that question.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The IAABO program is E-Court, and although i have never heard the SBQ term, I have been told by several evaluators that any contact on the dribbler in the backcourt is an automatic hand check. There should be no reason in a non-pressure situation for there to be any contact on the dribbler. And I think that the SBQ principle summarizes that up nicely.
How can you have a handcheck in the back court (or any defensive contact for that matter) in a non-pressure situation?

Hmm. PDA?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Dan, thanks for not making me ask that question.
I was asking it before I even finished the post.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Juulie, I think it's more a question of level/philosophy than it is of geographic area. The SBQ criteria have filtered down from the pro level. It's not a geographic buzzword as much as it is pro terminology. I picked up the SBQ guidelines from the USBL and the Nunn-Better camp. I've mentioned it here on the board a few times, so maybe that's where you heard it.

I like the SBQ mindset. I think it's just a little more concrete than "did it give the defender an advantage". JMO, as always.

Did you get extra brownie points for mentioning it?
Lah, me.

Everybody seems to be re-inventing the wheel again. What is the difference between SBQ and what's in the NFHS rule book anyway? Last year's POE #2 on Rough Play-- "Handchecking- (1)Any tactic using the hands, arms or body that allows a player, on offense or defense, to control (hold, impede, push, divert, slow, or prevent) the movement of an opposing player is a foul.(4) Any act or tactics of illegal use of hands(offense or defense) that intentionally, slows, prevents, impedes the progress or displaces an opposing player due to the the contact, is a foul and must be called". Isn't that exactly what SBQ is?

I've been hearing about SBQ for about 45 years now, and the only thing that has changed is the terminology.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Everybody seems to be re-inventing the wheel again.

I've been hearing about SBQ for about 45 years now, and the only thing that has changed is the terminology.
I've only been doing this for 12 years now, but before somebody spelled out the meaning of SBQ, the only instruction I got about handchecking was to call it if it gave the defender an advantage. That's not a lot of concrete help, IMHO. Even in the POE you quoted, it says any contact that allows a player "to control" his opponent is a foul. Well, a lot of handchecking doesn't have anything to do with "control". It's just a little nudge here, a little tag there.

Again, just my opinion, but I think putting those three (or four, if you count "rhythm") factors into the official's mind are more helpful than just saying "call it if it gives the defender an advantage".
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Again, just my opinion, but I think putting those three (or four, if you count "rhythm") factors into the official's mind are more helpful than just saying "call it if it gives the defender an advantage".

[/B][/QUOTE]Chuck, imo, they have been defining those advantages both in writing and at camps since I started out as a frisky little dinosaur with delusions of greatness. I've been hearing the same things over and over- year after year.

"Speed" is simply gaining a defensive advantage by slowing the dribbler down.

"Balance" is just knocking the dribbler off-stride, whether it's slight or not.

"Quickness" is exactly the same as "speed", as far as I can see.

Same old/same old, imo. Doesn't mean that I don't believe in it. Just means that I don't think that it's some wondrous new boon to the officiating masses, is all.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same old/same old, imo. Doesn't mean that I don't believe in it.
No sweat. Maybe it's just that I didn't start doing camps until about '02. Never got that "same old" instruction.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, imo, they have been defining those advantages both in writing and at camps since I started out as a frisky little dinosaur with delusions of greatness. I've been hearing the same things over and over- year after year.

I think they're different. One is absolute speed, the other is accelleration.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Chuck, imo, they have been defining those advantages both in writing and at camps since I started out as a frisky little dinosaur with delusions of greatness. I've been hearing the same things over and over- year after year.

I think they're different. One is absolute speed, the other is accelleration.
Good point, but still moot, imo. The same rationale applies to both "speed" and "quickness". The defender gets an advantage in both cases if his hand-check slows the dribbler down.