The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

My assigner is out to lunch. He assigns me a game 180 miles north of our usual territory. I get there 1/2 hour early - change - walk out of the locker room - and it's a Hockey Rink. Both coaches wanted the game to go. So I told them I was a basketball official but I'd do my best. I talked to the scorers. They wanted to divide the game into thirds but I nixed that. We went with two 16 minute halves. Then, I made my first screw up at the Jump Puck when I threw it up in the air. Then the fouls - nobody knew how to play! I called time-out and stopped all the hand and body checking. Talk about moving screens. We shot free-throw-slap shots from the blue line. What got to me was the constant Goal Tending. I threw both the chunky dressed players out which made it 5 on 5 - just right. The final score was 103-97 and both sides said it was the damn best hockey game that anybody ever saw.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

John Crow: Was that you out there? You did a damned good job on the ice. I was sure wishing that would have been me though. Hope to see you again real soon!!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Even my wife, who doesn't like sports loved this one.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 07:01pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Delayed whistles

John,
Did you work it alone... blue line to blue line?
Good post.
mick
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

now as you know i'm from the great white north and enjoyed every word of this post. My question is how did you call the offsides? did you use the free throw lines as the blue lines? and did the red light go on every time someone scored?

keep smiling
SH
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah...its' funny. I work alot of games alone. Seems my partners always get sick at the last minute. One guy called and said he had "explosive diaherra & hay fever". When I was young I use to watch Phil Espsoito play for the Bruins...3 seconds all the time. They never called it.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 07:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by John Crow
Yeah...its' funny. I work alot of games alone. Seems my partners always get sick at the last minute. One guy called and said he had "explosive diaherra & hay fever". When I was young I use to watch Phil Espsoito play for the Bruins...3 seconds all the time. They never called it.
John,
I used to work alone a lot, until I changed my mouth wash and deodorant.
Tony Espo,, here at Michigan Tech, and the Black Hawks, was in there even more.
mick
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Crow
I wouldn't call his bluff on the explosive diarhea thing, cause if he came to ref, he'd just make a mess of things anyway.