The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
i havent got the new nfhs book with the mechanic change of calling official staying table side so bare with me while i ask a ?. Lead calls a foul in front court against offense. he goes to table reports. now does he stay tableside as C ie. long switch or does he stay lead, or does he become T and admin throw in. Im pretty new to 3 person and i studied the old way not knowing this change was coming about.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

The smartest way to do it is as follows:
If no free throws are to be shot:
A. If the Lead is already tableside when he calls the foul, everyone stays right where they are. The Lead becomes the new Trail and inbounds the ball in the backcourt. C stays C opposite the table and the old Trail becomes the new Lead. This assumes that the foul was in the Lead primary. If the foul was in the C's primary, it gets goofy. (Yet another reason the Lead shouldn't be looking there!)

B. If the Lead is opposite the table, then he switches with the C. The old C will now be the new Trail and inbound in the backcourt. The old Lead is now tableside and C. Old Trail is new Lead.

If we are shooting FTs at the other end in an NFHS game or for a rebounding foul in NCAA:
C. Go to the same positions as in A, but everyone now moves down the court and administers the FTs.
D. The old T will become the new Lead and administer the FTs and will be tableside. The old Lead will switch with the old C and come tableside, but will actually end up as Trail for the the FTs. The old C will go opposite table, but will still be the C over there.

Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
i havent got the new nfhs book with the mechanic change of calling official staying table side so bare with me
Sure, I was about to get in the shower anyway. . .

To answer your question, for all fouls committed in the backcourt (with no FTs awarded), you are going to administer the throw-in exactly as if it had been a violation instead of a foul. No switches, everybody just slides.

If you're shooting FTs, then the calling official becomes the new Trail and the other two officials slide.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
While your way is often acceptable, I think that the way I wrote above is what is the new trend. I was told this a few weeks ago at camp by two guys who work the WCC. This way avoids the LONG switch, but ALWAYS puts the calling official tableside. This makes good sense to me as the purpose of going tableside is to improve communication between the coaches and the calling official. Therefore, to only go tableside in the frontcourt would seem to defeat the purpose. It is also easy to remember to ALWAYS end up tableside when you call a foul.

The Lead with C switch in the backcourt is a short switch according to them.
Just something to think about.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Chuck,
While your way is often acceptable, I think that the way I wrote above is what is the new trend. I was told this a few weeks ago at camp by two guys who work the WCC. This way avoids the LONG switch, but ALWAYS puts the calling official tableside. This makes good sense to me as the purpose of going tableside is to improve communication between the coaches and the calling official. Therefore, to only go tableside in the frontcourt would seem to defeat the purpose. It is also easy to remember to ALWAYS end up tableside when you call a foul.

Chuck's way is not only often accepted, it is exactly per cca 3 person mechanics for ncaa men. And I believe the ncaa women do it this way, although I could be wrong. Anyway it's a good system, imo.

IMO the nfhs mechanic will be very close to this, we'll see.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Chuck,

Chuck's way is not only often accepted, it is exactly per cca 3 person mechanics for ncaa men. And I believe the ncaa women do it this way, although I could be wrong. Anyway it's a good system, imo.

IMO the nfhs mechanic will be very close to this, we'll see.
NCAA women's IS what Chuck said, but we were told that NFHS will be different, although I didn't pay much attention to that part since I don't need to know it. Going from 2-person to 3-person is bad enough, trying to learn two different 3-person systems is completely overwhelming. I feel sorry for folks who have to do that!
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

No long switches.

This mechanic will not be out until 2005-06 publication. So we will not have anything this year with is mechanic.

In my state, we are not doing the long switch at all. So we will not be going table side at all with fouls from the backcourt to the frontcourt.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

What the CCA or Women's college does means nothing. The NFHS may or may not adopt their mechanic. I would imagine that the NF will have a powerpoint presentation with the proper mechanic. Until then, we are all just speculating.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

At the camp that I just finished, we were given a sheet with 3-whistle mechanics for NCAA and another sheet for FED. They were identical.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 7th, 2004 at 03:20 PM]
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
What the CCA or Women's college does means nothing. The NFHS may or may not adopt their mechanic. I would imagine that the NF will have a powerpoint presentation with the proper mechanic. Until then, we are all just speculating.
I don't think anyone's saying the cca mechanics drive the fed mechanics, and yes we're just speculating for now.

What else is there to do - besides steal toilet paper from the umpires?
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
At the camp that I just finished, we were given a sheet with 3-whistle mechanics for HS and another sheet for FED. They were identical.
Well, I would hope they were identical since the FED=NFHS=HS...
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Last year we were told, and I'm not sure what the NFHS manual says, to go back to the long switch, i.e., always go opposite the table. So, if they aren't printing a new manual I'm assuming that they will tell us to always go table side, regardless of whether it is a long switch or not. Won't be that way on my crew, but that's just me...
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

What else is there to do - besides steal toilet paper from the umpires?

[/B]
Tsk,tsk,tsk.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
At the camp that I just finished, we were given a sheet with 3-whistle mechanics for HS and another sheet for FED. They were identical.
And they were all going 55 mph too!

I can't keep up with Chuck either, some times.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Aw, dexter! Obviously, I meant one sheet for NCAA and one for FED. It's fixed now. Sigh.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 7th, 2004 at 05:02 PM]