The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I spent 4 months working in a personal injury law firm. The fact of whether or not to sue doesn't factor into the equation when someone has died as a result of negligence. It rarely happens, but when it does, you need to be prepared. And if something goes wrong and there's a remote question as to whether they'll sue you, they probably will. Always be prepared. In my football association, we boycotted a league because we couldn't get insurance for that league. It needs to be taken seriously.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I spent 4 months working in a personal injury law firm. The fact of whether or not to sue doesn't factor into the equation when someone has died as a result of negligence.
Yeah, what factors into the decision is can the lawyer get paid when the case is done.

15 yo with liability coverage is at a much greater risk to get sued than a 15 yo with no income, no assets and no insurance.

When Brandan has a house, kids, good job & responsibilities let him worry about getting ripped off by the insurance industry. For now, f 'em.

Of course, ymmv. :shrug:
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
There are no restrictions to memberships in these organizations.
I don't know about restrictions on membership, but I'm sure of restrictions on insurance coverage. If you are a member of the NFHS, you have insurance only for NF-sanctioned games. In other words, a lot of rec stuff ISN"T covered by your NF insurance. My understanding is that the NASO insurance covers any game you work if you are paid, and are working legitimately -- in other words, you're working games that were assigned to you, and not just standing into some park situation or something.
Take a look at the NF polciy closely. the last time we looked it covered NF sanctioned sports. Here is he wording from the NF site

The Insurance coverage shall apply only while the member is engaging in officiating activities during regularly scheduled sports or activities competition. That sport/activity must be recognized in that state or U.S. territory/possession by the member state high school association or by high schools that follow the guidelines of the member state associations (or an NFHS affiliate association in the territory/possession). If a sport is recognized for either men or women in that state, territory or possession, the official will be covered for officiating both men and women. Coverage also applies while such member is officiating temporarily outside the United States, its territories and possessions, as long as the sport is recognized by one of the state high school associations or an NFHS affiliate association.

• Officiating activities also include chain crews, and attending officiating camps, clinics and meetings.

• Coverage is not limited to high school activities. It also applies to officiating activities for independent youth or recreational leagues, junior college and college events but only for sports that are recognized for high school participation by that state’s high school association.

The biggest exclusion is pro or semi pro event.