The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

6th Grade Girls game....

After a made basket, at the "Red" endline, the "Blue" player has the ball at her disposal for throw-in.... She makes motion to pass ball in, but holds onto the ball as she steps inbounds. She halts the motion WITHOUT releasing the ball and steps back "out of bounds"... She looks at me... I "signal"(with a hand motion) baseline and say "Throw it in."

I searched the rules, case book and Mechanics manuel and can not find anything that indicates what the correct call should be?

HELP!
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

It's a violation.

9.2.5. Play: Thrower A1 inadvertently steps through the plane of the boundary line and touches the court inbounds. A1 immediately steps back into normal out-of-bounds throw-in position. The contact with the court was during a situation: (a) with; or (b) without defensive pressure on the throw-in team. Ruling: A violation in both (a) and (b).
Comment: Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgment is required in making the call.

Contrary to what you may have read, a thrower can't dribble the ball inbounds either.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

See casebook play 9.2.5,
this describes your situation exactly...throw-in violation
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I knew it.... Thanks BktBallRef

You are one of the "Regulars" who would have the answer.... I suspected I made a mistake, but could not find the "black and white" proof...

Thanks again... I have again learned from personal experience and the senior guidance of the more experienced references here in my beloved "E-referee.com forum" ...
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sixth grade girls game.

Would any of you guys just let something stupid like this slide at this level? (Or, in fact, at any other level(s)?)
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Do overs

Not at all. It is not my responsibility to teach rules and give "do overs." You call it a violation, they will learn the next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Sixth grade girls game.

Would any of you guys just let something stupid like this slide at this level? (Or, in fact, at any other level(s)?)
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

6th grade rec, lower division, team down 20 - you let it slide (with a wink to the crowd) because you are there to let the kids play a fun game of basketball with a reasonable standard of officiating that recognizes the level of play and the seriousness of the players. 6th grade competitive (travel/select - you choose your term), you call it because you are teaching serious players that are going to play serious ball, quite possibly for a long time. Teach them now.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

BTW - last year I coached very serious 5th grade girls, serious 7th grade boys and a very recreational group of 7th boys. The standards progressed (from easy to tough) as follows: 7th rec boys, 5th girls travel, 7th boys travel. I think the refs did a great job of situational officiating and all players gained from the experience and enjoyed a quality game of basketball for their level of play. NF rules are high school rules and high school age players and serious players of most levels should be able to follow them. Whistling to the letter of the NF law for all levels of younger players is not appropriate - IMO.

jrut, I know from other postings that you prefer the higher level games, and that is perfectly acceptable and appropriate (a view that differs from what I thought when I first read your posts regarding the levels you wish to officiate). I think that your standard is great for the level you wish to officiate, and can also understand your viewpoint expressed in this thread when applied to "serious" basketball. I think that you should stick with refereeing the serious ball if you want to take your proposed approach, and I mean this in no way to sound as harsh as it might. I don't think that college refs do much youth rec ball - the two are just not very compatible. While you are not a college ref at this time, you approach the game from that standpoint and may well rise to that level.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking HAWKS You danced with your reponse....

JRut is TOTALLY black and white .... and as long as we understand that, all is well....

I, now knowing the correct ruling, would STILL do what I did AT THE 6th Grade level.

If it were a FRESHMAN GAME or higher, I would call the violation....
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
6th Grade Girls game....

After a made basket, at the "Red" endline, the "Blue" player has the ball at her disposal for throw-in.... She makes motion to pass ball in, but holds onto the ball as she steps inbounds. She halts the motion WITHOUT releasing the ball and steps back "out of bounds"... She looks at me... I "signal"(with a hand motion) baseline and say "Throw it in."

I searched the rules, case book and Mechanics manuel and can not find anything that indicates what the correct call should be?

HELP!
As has already been said by the book you were wrong.
But seeing how this was a 6th grade game you did the right
thing.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Willie-Go with the coach on this one!