The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I currently run a 5-on05 adult basketball league, I'll be starting a 3-on-3 league in the spring. I am looking for a set of rules for 3-on-3. I realize that most rules would be the same but there may be some critical differences. For example, should it be a half-court game or should we play full court on a smaller court. If we play half court, should we play alternating possessions or make it-take it. And, will I be able to get by with a single ref for these games, or will I still need two like in my 5-on-5 league. I realize that many of these issues may be a matter of my own preference instead of actual rules, but I am looking for guidance on what has worked for others. Thanks for your help.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, I am a veteran of working a 3-on-3 league that was played half court. It was pain and misery for me. As well, I am sure it was painful for the players(40+,all former NBA players in their mind). It is impossible for a single ref to get in a good position where he is not going to be blocked out. However, two referees may be a little costly to have for only 3 player teams. Let me suggest you do what this league did the next year: Play 4-on-4 cross court. Use slow break rules if necessary and use two refs. This makes it a more enjoyable experience for refs and players alike.
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
Jim,
Get with some of the people who call Hoop-IT-Up to see if they have a copy of their rules. This would be a good place for you to get ideas to tailor your game.