The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

If you read my previous post about the out-of-control assistant coach, after this game, my partner told me of another game involving this same guy.

My previous post was about a 7th grade coach who couldn't keep his mouth shut and it continued into the 8th grade game when he was now the assistant.

An official was working a game for this team. Same crappy attitude is shown by this coach (assistant coach). The official is a veteren with a solid reputation. After warning him, then giving him the technical, this guy still doesn't back off. He eventually gets tossed from the game. (not sure if he was head or assistant coach at this point).

Anyway, later that evening when the official got home, he received a phone call from the AD for the school--converstaion went something like this:

AD: We have you for a Varsity Girls game in four days. I think I'm going to cancel you for the game.

Official: I'm sorry Jimbo, but you want to cancel me because your 7th grade coach is real jerk?

AD: We'll go ahead and pay you but I just think that the games are too close together and the parents at the JR High game are going to be at the Varsity game and I just think it's too close together.

Official: Why don't we go ahead and cancel all my contracts then. I'm not working for you anymore

AD: "No...No, I still need you for the [lower level] other games."

(I don't think this offial agreed to officiate those other games)

I'm wondering what this AD's motivation really was. I don't think the official's safety was truly his concern.

Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 12:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Sounds like the official is sticking up for him/herself and other officials. Kudos to him/her.

..Mike
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Does your association use assignors, or do you work with the individual schools directly to get games?

If you have an assignor, then there really is no place for the AD to be calling the official. The assignor is there to handle these types of situations, and if necessary, to move the official to a different location in an upcoming game (should happen rarely though).

If you work with the school directly, then I would suggest reconsidering whether it is worth it. We officials are out there because we enjoy basketball, and this sounds like the type of situation that takes the enjoyment away.

Good luck.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Angry GUTLESS AD!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
If you read my previous post about the out-of-control assistant coach, after this game, my partner told me of another game involving this same guy.

My previous post was about a 7th grade coach who couldn't keep his mouth shut and it continued into the 8th grade game when he was now the assistant.

An official was working a game for this team. Same crappy attitude is shown by this coach (assistant coach). The official is a veteren with a solid reputation. After warning him, then giving him the technical, this guy still doesn't back off. He eventually gets tossed from the game. (not sure if he was head or assistant coach at this point).

Anyway, later that evening when the official got home, he received a phone call from the AD for the school--converstaion went something like this:

AD: We have you for a Varsity Girls game in four days. I think I'm going to cancel you for the game.

Official: I'm sorry Jimbo, but you want to cancel me because your 7th grade coach is real jerk?

AD: We'll go ahead and pay you but I just think that the games are too close together and the parents at the JR High game are going to be at the Varsity game and I just think it's too close together.

Official: Why don't we go ahead and cancel all my contracts then. I'm not working for you anymore

AD: "No...No, I still need you for the [lower level] other games."

(I don't think this offial agreed to officiate those other games)

I'm wondering what this AD's motivation really was. I don't think the official's safety was truly his concern.

GUTLESS AD!! I would cancel all my contracts at that school. If the AD won't back you up, then it isn't worth your time to do games at the school. The AD is gutless because he knows he has a problem on his hands, and instead of taking care of it, he is letting it ruin his program.

Although the coach is the small problem here, in my opinion, the AD represents the greater problem. If this happens to us as officials, maybe we should take our case to the principal...or to the school board.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the official. He should have asked what kind of example the coach was setting. The AD should have reprimanded the coach for going over the edge. Also any parents that knew anything would probably have sided with the offical or at least understood his position. And doing the Varsity game would not have been a problem. I think the AD was out of line to even suggest removing the official. Especialy when he said he needed him for lower games. Maybe the AD should have the coach do a few JR high games?

[Edited by Don Hendrickson on Jan 10th, 2001 at 01:38 PM]
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation I would never.......

work for that school ever again. I would not do lower level all the way up to varsity games that is at this school for any reason. If the AD has that attitude about the situation, then he can find someone else. A 7th grade game does not even compare at all to a varsity game. Night and day difference. I would not work for that AD if I had not one game for the remaining of that season. Sometimes officials have to take a stand, and if an AD pisses off enough official, it might be hard to get the ones that they want. Tell that official to stick to their guns on this one, there are other schools to work for.