The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Exclamation

I am attending my first camp Saturday and I was wondering if some of you guys or gals could tell me when I am in for and what to expect? Also is there any one in here going to the Shreveport camp? LALALAL

[Edited by brandan89 on Jun 21st, 2004 at 08:34 PM]
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Learn and listen.

Be willing to learn. Not much more you can do.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Learn and listen.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Be willing to learn. Not much more you can do.

Peace
Hustle, listen and remove the word BUT from your vocabulary.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Get a good night's sleep the night before, and don't stay up late the nights during camp. Save the partying until it's over.

Listen carefully. Write everything down. Don't expect a lot of kudos. Take the criticism as information, not attack.

Meet someone who could be a mentor next season.

And just one little commercial announcement here: Join Officiating.com and read my 4-part series on getting the most out of camp. I've gotten several favorable comments about it, and it might be just what you're looking for.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 06:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

And just one little commercial announcement here: Join Officiating.com and read my 4-part series on getting the most out of camp.
Four parts? You musta been paid by the word, eh? You coulda summed it all up in one word instead- "knowledge".

You did get paid, didn't you?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Two letters you must learn

They are OK.

These people have something you want. They want to help you. They don't care what someone else told you last year or what someone else told you someplace else. When they are trying to tell you what they want you to do (or change), just say OK. Don't try to argue.

It is fine to ask for clarification, or phrase your question like, "Let me make sure I understand what you are saying...."

A lot of people that are training in these camps also schedule games. So keep that in mind.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Camps in New York or Connecticut

Does anybody know of any camps that are offered in NY or CT ? I have never attended an officials camp but from a lot of the threads on the board it sounds like it would be extremely useful in improvng my officiating .

I was going to start a new thread but there are so may about camps I figured I would just piggyback on this one .
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This needs to be added.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. If the evaluator is telling you something you do not completely understand, ask questions. You might learn more from the comments. First you want to listen, but you might need clarification for a mechanic or positioning. This is especially critical when you are brand new. If you are not trying to get a D1 game (which you would be too inexperienced to get that opportunity anyway), ask questions. I must clarify also that this is when they are talking directly to you or your own positioning. If they are talking about someone else, just listen.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I am attending my first camp Saturday and I was wondering if some of you guys or gals could tell me when I am in for and what to expect?
You will get lots of input. You will probably find 90% of it useful and valuable and helps you improve. The other 10% might not work for you. In fact, some of it might conflict with what a different evaluator told you. For that other 10%, just nod and don't argue about it.

Some evaluators are blessed with more tact and personal skills than others. For the ones who lack communication skills and deliver input with the softness of a sledgehammer, don't take it personal. While it may feel as if they are attacking you, it is just their (poor) style. Separate the message from the style and put it to good use.

Z
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

1. Hustle. Give your all to every game. They expect you to sprint and not jog. Make it a goal to beat the players down the court when you're at lead. When you're at C and there's not a press on, sprint down to your new spot and "await the play." That was a big focus at the camps I attended.

2. Listen. Give the clinician working your game your complete attention when (s)he's talking. Don't offer excuses or buts. They hate excuses. Be a good camper, even if you disagree with them.

3. Keep notes. After each game, I write down everything that I can remember they said. Then I make a list of things they want me to work on. I review that list before my next game.

4. Don't be surprised if on a different court, someone gives you the totally opposite directions. If that happens, see #2 above and remember who wants what on which court.

5. If you run out of energy easily, bring a small cooler to keep drinks, fruit and snacks in. Some camps provide lunch, some don't. The last one I attended provided nothing and I had no way to get to a fast-food establishment so I brought my own stuff. A big lifesaver when you're calling four complete games that day at full speed.

[Edited by ReadyToRef on Jun 18th, 2004 at 04:14 PM]
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
1. Hustle. Give your all to every game. They expect you to sprint and not jog. Make it a goal to beat the players down the court when you're at lead. When you're at C and there's not a press on, sprint down to your new spot and "await the play." That was a big focus at the camps I attended.

Agree. Never want to appear lazy. Of course, take your time at the right places: before clearing the area of a rough foul, reporting the foul, throwin's etc.QUOTE]Originally posted by ReadyToRef

2. Listen. Give the clinician working your game your complete attention when (s)he's talking. Don't offer excuses or buts. They hate excuses. Be a good camper, even if you disagree with them.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely agreed. You can ask questions...just phrase them to not refute what they're saying.
Quote:

3. Keep notes. After each game, I write down everything that I can remember they said. Then I make a list of things they want me to work on. I review that list before my next game.
This is a personal style. People learn in different ways. Personnally, I rarely take notes.
Quote:

4. Don't be surprised if on a different court, someone gives you the totally opposite directions. If that happens, see #2 above and remember who wants what on which court.
This is where I have a really funny story.

Don't be suprised if someone at each end of the court gives you conflicting directions. I had it happen to me and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what to do.

I told the evaluator that I was sorry I didn't seem to be listening to them but the guy on the other end of the floor was telling me to do the opposite and I had a hard time remembering which end of the floor I was supposed to do one thing or the other.

They got a pretty good laugh out of that when I told them what was going on.
Quote:

5. If you run out of energy easily, bring a small cooler to keep drinks, fruit and snacks in. Some camps provide lunch, some don't. The last one I attended provided nothing and I had no way to get to a fast-food establishment so I brought my own stuff. A big lifesaver when you're calling four complete games that day at full speed.

Ditto....keep well hydrated with quality liquids. It will keep your stamina up and will keep your focus sharp. Make sure you're well hydrated before you even start and take drinks before you're thirsty.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
[/B]
Ditto....keep well hydrated with quality liquids.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]

OK...I can see how it's getting emptied...but what are you filling it up with, eh pee-wee?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
OK...I can see how it's getting emptied...but what are you filling it up with, eh pee-wee? [/B][/QUOTE]Chuck's filling it up, you say?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Thanks, Everyone...Cant wait untill tommrow. It is a one day camp.