The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Had a player last night in a 6th grade girls game do this. She was dribbling down court, pulled up with a jump stop at the foul line...and decided NOT to shoot. She then proceded to pivot to look for a pass. Once I saw the pivot, I called a travel. Rule book 4.43.4a says When neither foot can be a pivot 'One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.' I didn't get any flak from the coach, but the parents were all over it! I felt I made the right call...?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up Good call...

after a jump-stop, NO pivot foot is available. If one of the feet was lifted AND returned to the floor before a pass was released, TRAVEL!
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Danvrapp: You made the right call. Parents never will get it straight. Just call what you see and stand by it!
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Had a player last night in a 6th grade girls game do this. She was dribbling down court, pulled up with a jump stop at the foul line...and decided NOT to shoot. She then proceded to pivot to look for a pass. Once I saw the pivot, I called a travel. Rule book 4.43.4a says When neither foot can be a pivot 'One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.' I didn't get any flak from the coach, but the parents were all over it! I felt I made the right call...?
Proper call.
I would have passed, unless it was some kind of "elite" tournament, or team.
mick
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
As long as you are sure it was a jump stop (jumping off the pivot and landing on both feet simultaneously), it was the right call. Mostly, especially at younger levels, I see the player merely coming to a stop when either foot can be the pivot foot.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

It is important to differentiate 1) what you are calling a jump stop, taken when one foot is on floor at time of pickup and there is a two foot landing, from 2) a two-foot stop taken when the player left floor before picking up the ball. Both cases involve an apparent jumping action. But in the latter case (which I also consider to be a jump stop), the pivot foot is available per 4.43.2a(1). The key is where the feet were when the ball was picked up, not how they landed.

pick-up ball, jump, stop = no pivot
jump, pick-up ball, stop = pivot

Another thing to ask yourself is would you have allowed a 1-2 stop (where one foot lands before the other). If you would, then pivot is available regardless of whether there was a two foot or 1-2 landing. The only provisions for a 1-2 landing are 4.43.2a, which also allows pivot on jump stop. 4.43.2b does not allow pivot nor does it allow a 1-2 stop.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good call, coach. I was thinking the same thing as I read the various posts, and it seems to me that most "stop and pop" situations I see entail the second of your possibilities--that is, the player jumps off the floor right after the last dribble, grabs the ball, lands on both feet, then shoots. And of course, as you said, he/she could then legally pivot. So it IS an important distinction. Also, as Mick suggested, in a 6th grade game I'd probably also pass on this relatively minor violation (for that level) regardless.