The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night. Boys HS Varsity.

There's a turnover by Team A. During the dead ball prior to the Team B throw-in, A1 comes into the game for A2. B1 violates on the throw-in by moving from the designated spot. (Official signals this with a travel, by the way.) Clock does not start.

Prior to the subsequent throw-in by Team A, A2 reports, timer signals, and A2 is beckoned. A1 leaves the court. Before the ball is at Team A's disposal, the non-administering official (Referee) holds up play.

Floor officials consult; A2 is put back on the bench and A1 is back out on the court. Play continues with Team A throw-in; no penalty.

Handled properly?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it was handled properly. A2 cannot re-enter the game until time has run off the clock.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Sven

Last night. Boys HS Varsity.

There's a turnover by Team A. During the dead ball prior to the Team B throw-in, A1 comes into the game for A2. B1 violates on the throw-in by moving from the designated spot. (Official signals this with a travel, by the way.) Clock does not start.

Prior to the subsequent throw-in by Team A, A2 reports, timer signals, and A2 is beckoned. A1 leaves the court. Before the ball is at Team A's disposal, the non-administering official (Referee) holds up play.

Floor officials consult; A2 is put back on the bench and A1 is back out on the court. Play continues with Team A throw-in; no penalty.

Handled properly?
Clock didn't start...I say yes! Cannot come in until first dead ball AFTER the clock starts. (3-3-4)
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Indy is correct 3.3.4. By the way congrats to indy for being our latest to achieve the distinction of SENIOR MEMBER. Does this mean he spends too much time on this page???????
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Wink YES!!

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Indy is correct 3.3.4. By the way congrats to indy for being our latest to achieve the distinction of SENIOR MEMBER. Does this mean he spends too much time on this page???????
Good point, co2ice. But I need to keep my skills refined! I just started a new position that doesn't require much from me yet...but that is going to change within the next month.

BTW, what does the # of posts say about Mick?? LOL

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Jan 11th, 2001 at 08:20 AM]
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yes, it was handled properly. A2 cannot re-enter the game until time has run off the clock.
Actually, they cannot sub until the clock properly starts. I.e., if the timer were to accidentially let a second off with the whistle, A1 could not go back in because the clock was never supposed to start.

Good job by the ref catching this one! However, the timer and scorer should have figured it out first and never blown the horn.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Wink

As we were told in our rules interpretations,

"You don't have to Play a Play"
"But you have to Sit a Play"
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Re: YES!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Good point, co2ice. But I need to keep my skills refined! I just started a new position that doesn't require much from me yet...but that is going to change within the next month.

BTW, what does the # of posts say about Mick?? LOL

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Jan 11th, 2001 at 08:20 AM]
mick needs to get a life.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Actually, they cannot sub until the clock properly starts. I.e., if the timer were to accidentially let a second off with the whistle, A1 could not go back in because the clock was never supposed to start.

Good job by the ref catching this one! However, the timer and scorer should have figured it out first and never blown the horn.
Point well taken, Mark. I was the scorer. As is sometimes the case in "first time it's happened to me..." situations, the event had taken place before I realized what had occurred. Next time...

Sven
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Completely understandable

I don't go a night without at least one messup w/subs, usually during "en masse" substitution or the one-by-one until everyone on the bench has gone through.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.

I like this saying. Has the first rule changed recently? I have an illustrated rules book (not the official one) which stated that the sub needed to play some length of time. On reading the rules, however, I see no such requirement.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.

I like this saying. Has the first rule changed recently? I have an illustrated rules book (not the official one) which stated that the sub needed to play some length of time. On reading the rules, however, I see no such requirement.
No, the rule hasn't recently changed. My '98-'99 comic book doesn't seem to have the "sub must play" in it (but I admit I didn't look very hard). What's the specific reference you are using?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I took that from the book "Basketball Rules in Pictures (NFHS and NCAA rules)" (from mid 90's, I believe) and the section is somewhat ambiguous to read.

It clearly states that a replaced player must wait until returning, then it says "Substitutes are meant to play, if only for a short while." I took that to mean the subs needed to be on the court for the same standard.