The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Had to whack a kid this weekend for swearing all the way up the court about a no-call. A few minutes later, some swearing happens between the players (I didn't hear it). Teammate to the kid I whacked asked why I didn't call a T on the kid for swearing. Told him I didn't hear it, it wasn't directed at me (or my partner), and wasn't aware of a rule for technical foul for swearing.

Is there a rule for no swearing between players? By this I mean the kids are not swearing about a no-call, or a perceived bad call. But, one kid swearing at another (i.e. shut the f*!? up). Does this fall under unsportsmanlike conduct?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

You can T anybody for profanity, but it really depends on where you are reffing. I eagerly await jrut's response on this, he always states it better than I could. Jrut is fairly permissive in his approach, MTD has a zero tolerance approach. MTD's is supportable by NF rules, but Jrut's recognizes the standard of behavior in the area he refs.

If you are going to ignore profanity, the first stuff that usually goes ignored is the player swearing at himself and it isn't yelled out for the whole gym to hear (e.g., an f bomb for missing a lay-up or fumbling a ball out of bounds). The same f-bomb directed at another player is another level up and may result in a T, or may be ignored if it doesn't seem to be any more antagonistic than other trash talk that is occurring - again, depends on what is tolerated in your area. F-bomb directed at an official is usually an automatic.

So rule supports a T for any profanity, but you need to know what is accepteable in your area. And what you "don't hear" never gets T'd.

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

no need to wait

Coach,
No need to wait for Jrut to get here with his explanation, you have done a great job of combining all of the opinions in one neat little package...well said...I personally lie somewhere in the middle probably more towards Jrut's style of handling this situation...
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
1) Told him I didn't hear it, it wasn't directed at me (or my partner), and wasn't aware of a rule for technical foul for swearing.

2)Is there a rule for no swearing between players? By this I mean the kids are not swearing about a no-call, or a perceived bad call. But, one kid swearing at another (i.e. shut the f*!? up). Does this fall under unsportsmanlike conduct?
See "Player Technical" - Rule 10-3:

1) Rule10-3-7(b)- "Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts of conduct such as using profane or inappropriate languge or obscene gestures".

2) Rule 10-3-7(c)- "Commit an un unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts of conduct such as baiting or taunting an opponent".

You weren't aware of these rules?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you swear at me, you'll be watching the remainder of the game from the bench, or from the lockerroom.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
See "Player Technical" - Rule 10-3:

1) Rule10-3-7(b)- "Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts of conduct such as using profane or inappropriate languge or obscene gestures".

2) Rule 10-3-7(c)- "Commit an un unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts of conduct such as baiting or taunting an opponent".

You weren't aware of these rules?
I'm learning. I don't have the rules down cold yet. That's why I've been sticking to the house/AAU stuff. There's a lot of information in the rules/case books. Some of us just pick it up quicker than others.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
You can T anybody for profanity, but it really depends on where you are reffing. I eagerly await jrut's response on this, he always states it better than I could. Jrut is fairly permissive in his approach, MTD has a zero tolerance approach. MTD's is supportable by NF rules, but Jrut's recognizes the standard of behavior in the area he refs.

If you are going to ignore profanity, the first stuff that usually goes ignored is the player swearing at himself and it isn't yelled out for the whole gym to hear (e.g., an f bomb for missing a lay-up or fumbling a ball out of bounds). The same f-bomb directed at another player is another level up and may result in a T, or may be ignored if it doesn't seem to be any more antagonistic than other trash talk that is occurring - again, depends on what is tolerated in your area. F-bomb directed at an official is usually an automatic.

So rule supports a T for any profanity, but you need to know what is accepteable in your area. And what you "don't hear" never gets T'd.

Any area that accepts profanity from juveniles is not worthy of having me officiate in its area.

I know that sounds arrogant, and I will defend to the death any person's right to free speech, but profanity is not acceptable in an athletic event, especially when the participants are below the age of eighteen.

I will never be considered a member of the Moral Majority, but a society that accecpts profanity as a normal part of communication during an athletic event, is headed downhill fast.

I do agree that what you cannot hear you cannot penalize.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

... a society that accecpts profanity as a normal part of communication during an athletic event, is headed downhill fast.

Sh1t yeah.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Any area that accepts profanity from juveniles is not worthy of having me officiate in its area.

[/B][/QUOTE]Headlines in many Ohio newspapers this week- Swearing breaks out in numerous area basketball games. Coaches all quoted as saying "Not to worry. Some good will come out of this."
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
Headlines in many Ohio newspapers this week- Swearing breaks out in numerous area basketball games. Coaches all quoted as saying "Not to worry. Some good will come out of this." [/B][/QUOTE]

So the coaches where building a cone of DeNuccibility.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:
Headlines in many Ohio newspapers this week- Swearing breaks out in numerous area basketball games. Coaches all quoted as saying "Not to worry. Some good will come out of this." [/B]
So the coaches where building a cone of DeNuccibility. [/B][/QUOTE]First you get 213 rolls of toilet paper......

LOL!
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 04:51pm
Esteemed Participant

What the dexter are those kids doing swearing anyway? Dexterheads...T their a$$es and set them down on the dextering bench...
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
First you get 213 rolls of toilet paper......
[/QUOTE]

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 05:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

In our local rec league, in games involving grades 3-8, any profanity heard by the referee regardless of the circumstance is an automatic flagrant technical. If it is by a coach, that coach is automatically suspended and must appeal to the Board for reinstatement. If by a spectator, that person cannot attend practices or games for the rest of the season.

We are slightly more lenient at the HS rec level. For instance, if a player misses a wide open layup and mutters something under his breath, he gets a warning - but if it can be heard by spectators, it's a T. Any profanity directed at an official by anyone at this level is automatically a flagrant T and an indefinite suspension.

Ours is not the only rec league in this area with rules of this kind. We are on a crusade to eliminate poor sportsmanship and we are starting with profanity.

Taunting is next.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking You would not be the last.

Hawk,

I am not suggesting that you are wrong totally. But I would not say I am premisable about profanity. I just feel that there has to be a context for everything. In my opinion, you should not penalize HS aged kids for profanity that is amongs themselves and no one really hears. I also feel that if it is not directed at an official or an opponent, you can make a point directly or indirectly to prevent further actions. I usually use dead ball situations and often times FTs to make a point. Usually after a FT, everyone heard my comments and they begin to correct themselves on their own.

Peace