The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

worked a high school team camp today....the rules were this.. Team fouls are kept not individual fouls...after the 7th team foul of a half, a point is awarded to the offended team for a foul...Before the bonus if a shooter is fouled it is an automatic award of 1 point...if the basket is made and the shooter is fouled...yep they get the hoop and the basket...and here we were as officials forced occasionally to yell from one end of the court...."And One"...I just checked and hell hasn't frozed over yet but I was concerned
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
worked a high school team camp today....the rules were this.. Team fouls are kept not individual fouls...after the 7th team foul of a half, a point is awarded to the offended team for a foul...Before the bonus if a shooter is fouled it is an automatic award of 1 point...if the basket is made and the shooter is fouled...yep they get the hoop and the basket...and here we were as officials forced occasionally to yell from one end of the court...."And One"...I just checked and hell hasn't frozed over yet but I was concerned
You were playing speed ball. Many rec leagues play it because of the running clock.

I've worked summer HS leagues where every foul is one shot, so the kids get pressure on their free throws.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just yell, "Three points."
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

With these games, I just work on hustle, position, and judgment. reporting mechanics and switching don't come up much.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
That could be confusing if the kid was near the 19-9 line.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Actually, it's just the opposite as this is telling the scorer precisely how many points are scored.
Remember that in these games (The summer leagues which don't wish to waste time with the free throw and just award the extra point.) the official is only verbalizing the number of points when the shooter is fouled on a successful try. So, if the try was a two, the official yells, "Three points." If the try was a three, the official yells, "Four points." The touchdown signal for a successful three point try is still given.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Actually, it's just the opposite as this is telling the scorer precisely how many points are scored.
Remember that in these games (The summer leagues which don't wish to waste time with the free throw and just award the extra point.) the official is only verbalizing the number of points when the shooter is fouled on a successful try. So, if the try was a two, the official yells, "Three points." If the try was a three, the official yells, "Four points." The touchdown signal for a successful three point try is still given.
As long as you pre-game that with the table, you probably won't have any problem. But some of the score keepers I see in the summer barely manage to keep their eyes on the floor, much less the ref or the game. In the rec leagues I work, I'd never just say, "Three points."