Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to corrinne
Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely on 12-09-1999 07:38 AM
I need a little reassurance. In a game I worked last night I called an out of bounds in favor of Team A. Player B1 stepped up for throw in and I handed the ball to B1 (must have fallen asleep). B1 threw in to B2 and Team B made bucket. At next dead ball A coach protested. I acknowledged mistake and conferred with Referee who said take points from Team B and give ball to Team A for throw in again. When I got home I checked rules and this kind of error is not mentioned as correctible. Am I missing something?

Dennis, I'm not sure if you got my first message, I don't see it posted. But what you did was correct according to the rules. erroneously counting a score is included in correctable errors. Your score was erroneously counted because B should not have had the ball. Therefore, remove the points from the scoreboard and play resumes from the point at which it was interuppted. In your case, possession to A, which is what you did.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

good job!
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I need a little reassurance. In a game I worked last night I called an out of bounds in favor of Team A. Player B1 stepped up for throw in and I handed the ball to B1 (must have fallen asleep). B1 threw in to B2 and Team B made bucket. At next dead ball A coach protested. I acknowledged mistake and conferred with Referee who said take points from Team B and give ball to Team A for throw in again. When I got home I checked rules and this kind of error is not mentioned as correctible. Am I missing something?
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Dennis, you did exactly what you were suppose to according to NCAA rules. A correctable error IS erroneously counting or canceling a score. Counting a basket made by a team who should not have been awarded the ball would fall into this category, in my opinion. Also, according to the rules, the error must be recongnized by an official before the first dead ball becomes live (you did), in addition, play resumes from the point at which it was interrupted to correct the error (you did). Nice job!, Corrinne
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, you are both wrong. Once the ball was put in play by B, the play must continue on. You can not correct your situation because putting the ball in play by the wrong team is not a correctable error. You made the mistake and you have to keep the game going.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I agree with Keith. This in NOT a correctable error. You got to eat it and take the heat.
This does not fall under the catagory of eroneously counting a basket. Sorry!
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Keith and Ron are right. Exact scenario is discussed in Case 7.5.2B. This isn't considered "erroneously counting a score" since Team B's goal with a live ball was properly counted.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

corrine: this is not a correctable error, since the error was to give the ball to the wrong team.
the only instance where we erroneaously count or do not count a basket is if we say the ball did or did not go in, but later determine that it did. However, the error has to be found within the guidelines of 2-10