The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Hi everyone,
I am a brand new ref. I have all of the books, like case book, rules and officials manuals. What I was wondering is if there are any good magazines out there for basketball refs?
Also, I have ben reading this forum for a couple of days and have already learned SOOOOOOO much! This is a great place to learn. Seems to be some very knowledgable folks on here. Just curious, are any of you women? (I am).
I went to a 2 (wo)man camp this weekend and called my first 2 games. All I can say about it is there is only one way for me to go and that is UP! LOL! And I will! What an experience!

PEACE
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of officiating!

I don't know of any magazines but a great way to learn more from this site is to go to Google and use the advanced search. Type in officialforum.com for the site that you want and type in key words like "Over and Back", "Traveling", "Kick ball". Then you can read old threads about topics that you are wondering about.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

My favorite is "Chicks And Ammo".
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rookie_ref_717
Just curious, are any of you women? (I am).
I went to a 2 (wo)man camp this weekend and called my first 2 games.
rainmaker, oatmealqueen, nine01c are females. I seem to recall others, but I don't give it much thought since (here) it rarely matters.

Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up You go girl!

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a brand new ref. I have all of the books, like case book, rules and officials manuals. What I was wondering is if there are any good magazines out there for basketball refs?
Also, I have ben reading this forum for a couple of days and have already learned SOOOOOOO much! This is a great place to learn. Seems to be some very knowledgable folks on here. Just curious, are any of you women? (I am).
I went to a 2 (wo)man camp this weekend and called my first 2 games. All I can say about it is there is only one way for me to go and that is UP! LOL! And I will! What an experience!

PEACE
rookie_ref_717,
Welcome to the forum.
How'd ya like your partners?
mick
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 04:41pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Check out membership options at Officiating.com! There is a wealth of information going back to 1999 when we first started the site. We also publish new articles almost every day. There is no other place where you can get as much quality officiating information in a single place!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Hi everyone,

PEACE
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Hi, 717! Welcome to the board. We seem to chase most women away, or perhaps they all have other lives that are better. But there is a plethora of information, encouragement and camaraderie available here, if you want to avail yourself of it. Most everyone here is personable and competent, although we do disagree a lot, and get a little testy about it sometimes. Downright crusty, sometimes.

The "R" magazine can have its good spots, although it's not strictly U around here, because of a certain legal situation which happened a few years ago. This forum is sponsored by a website called Officiating.com which runs a subscription-based 'zine. At the moment, basketball is not the focus, but they do normally have a wide range of articles, and a few years worth of archives that are worth perusing.

My last piece of advice is, don't take Padgett too seriously. He's just a broken-winded old has-been that likes to bait coaches and then run them. Gets his jollies out of appearing at league board meetings and telling all the bad words the coach said on the way out the door. Poor guy. Word is, he could have been great, but unfortunately, his son took all his talent and then ran away. Life is tough, you know?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
... Most everyone here is personable and competent, although we do disagree a lot, and get a little testy about it sometimes. Downright crusty, sometimes.
No we don't (disagree a lot). And don't you go messin' with me today. I'm liable to blow my whistle in a game with you and pretend it was you!!! Oh, isn't it a travel to catch your own airball?

Quote:

The "R" magazine can have its good spots, although it's not strictly U around here, because of a certain legal situation which happened a few years ago.
Which resulted in me dropping my subscription in combination with the fact they they often had errors in their case plays and examples that made them as uninstrustive as listening to a coach.

Quote:

My last piece of advice is, don't take Padgett too seriously. He's just a broken-winded old has-been that likes to bait coaches and then run them. Gets his jollies out of appearing at league board meetings and telling all the bad words the coach said on the way out the door. Poor guy. Word is, he could have been great, but unfortunately, his son took all his talent and then ran away. Life is tough, you know?
I'll agree with that!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and all of the great advice. Padgett doesn't bother me as I am a regular on the ESPN WNBA message board and it can get really ugly there. I hope my asking if any others were women doesn't offend as it was strictly curiosity......it doesn't matter at all to me.
My partners this past weekend were SAINTS! Very helpful and open minded to my being so green. I let them know right up front I was new and they were just awesome. I learned that EYE CONTACT is of the utmost imortance. It got me through the games.
I have read alot of the threads already, but have not checked out the archives. Will check out the google link as well.
I hope I have addressed all of the replies. Thanks again everybody.

rainmaker: i like your quote at the bottom! ;^)
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope my asking if any others were women doesn't offend as it was strictly curiosity......it doesn't matter at all to me.
Don't apologize for offending anyone on the subject of gender. There are a few notable exceptions, but most of the folks on this board get offensive on the subject of gender, at least once in a while, and never apologize. In fact, I'm probably offending someone by saying that, and I have no intention of apologizing.

As a woman, overall, you have a much greater chance of succeeding in women's ball than a man does, and a much lower chance of succeeding in men's ball. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. I'm probably offending someone by saying that, and I have no intention of apologizing.

It will matter to you enormously the first time you walk into your assigned dressing room and discover a naked male coach or worse yet naked male ref partner, because the AD at that school forgot to consider this issue. It'll be a while before you can look that guy in the eye again. Although I'll admit, when this happened to me, I never had another word out of that previously mouthy coach, so maybe it wasn't all that bad.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

And by the way, where ARE oatmealqueen and nine01c, anyway?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

It will matter to you enormously the first time you walk into your assigned dressing room and discover a naked male coach or worse yet naked male ref partner, because the AD at that school forgot to consider this issue. It'll be a while before you can look that guy in the eye again.

Or you could walk in on Chuck...OK JR, got that picture handy?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 07:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

It will matter to you enormously the first time you walk into your assigned dressing room and discover a naked male coach or worse yet naked male ref partner, because the AD at that school forgot to consider this issue. It'll be a while before you can look that guy in the eye again.

Or you could walk in on Chuck...OK JR, got that picture handy?
Feel free to look Chuck in the eye!

Welcome, Rookie. It's always nice to have more wimmen here. As long as they remember their place. And don't talk too much. And post nude pictures of themselves. NOOOOOOOO- not YOU Padgett, damnit! I said "wimmen"!

PS- Do I get my pellet now, Slappy, for posting Chuckie's picture?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

PS- Do I get my pellet now, Slappy, for posting Chuckie's picture?
Here ya go...take an extra for later.

And a welcome from me as well rook. It's always good having a newbie here, it makes us feel so smart when we can answer your questions.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
I hope my asking if any others were women doesn't offend as it was strictly curiosity......it doesn't matter at all to me.
.... I'm probably offending someone by saying that, and I have no intention of apologizing.

.... I'm probably offending someone by saying that, and I have no intention of apologizing.

And by the way, where ARE oatmealqueen and nine01c, anyway?
Jewel,
Oatmealqueen is softballing.
I imagine she has no intention of apologizing either.

mick

Closed Thread