View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rookie_ref_717
Hi everyone,
I am a brand new ref. I have all of the books, like case book, rules and officials manuals. What I was wondering is if there are any good magazines out there for basketball refs?
Also, I have ben reading this forum for a couple of days and have already learned SOOOOOOO much! This is a great place to learn. Seems to be some very knowledgable folks on here. Just curious, are any of you women? (I am).
I went to a 2 (wo)man camp this weekend and called my first 2 games. All I can say about it is there is only one way for me to go and that is UP! LOL! And I will! What an experience!

PEACE
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My favorite is "Chicks And Ammo".

Hi, 717! Welcome to the board. We seem to chase most women away, or perhaps they all have other lives that are better. But there is a plethora of information, encouragement and camaraderie available here, if you want to avail yourself of it. Most everyone here is personable and competent, although we do disagree a lot, and get a little testy about it sometimes. Downright crusty, sometimes.

The "R" magazine can have its good spots, although it's not strictly U around here, because of a certain legal situation which happened a few years ago. This forum is sponsored by a website called Officiating.com which runs a subscription-based 'zine. At the moment, basketball is not the focus, but they do normally have a wide range of articles, and a few years worth of archives that are worth perusing.

My last piece of advice is, don't take Padgett too seriously. He's just a broken-winded old has-been that likes to bait coaches and then run them. Gets his jollies out of appearing at league board meetings and telling all the bad words the coach said on the way out the door. Poor guy. Word is, he could have been great, but unfortunately, his son took all his talent and then ran away. Life is tough, you know?