The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Is there a prescribed "look" for summer uniforms? That is, do we wear white socks with our shorts or black socks? What do you do or what is the trend in your area?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:07am
cingram

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Is there a prescribed "look" for summer uniforms? That is, do we wear white socks with our shorts or black socks? What do you do or what is the trend in your area?
As far as I know there is no designated specific look for the summer. I usually try to wear the pants unless it is unbearably hot. If I wear shorts I try to wear black socks with my black shoes.... When in doubt bring both and wear what your partner is wearing.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:09am
Administrator

Black socks with black shorts, to quote Lucy from Peanuts:

"aaaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If you attend an officials camp, wear a v-neck shirt. If you are officiating an AAU or YBOA national tournament, there will be a prescribed uniform. If you are officiating in local tournaments, team camps, or summer leagues either a v-neck or collared shirt is fine. Personally, my collared shirts are still in excellent condidtion and I wear them in local tournaments, team camps, or summer leagues. Black shorts with white socks are fine too.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:20am
Huck Finn

Do not wear a collared shirt anyplace unless you work for Footlocker! Just have those shirts made into shoe bags and call it a day.
Most areas where I've been do not allow black socks with shorts but people wear them anyway because they think they look good. Wrong!
Oh, when you go to put those shorts on, please make sure they are not Coach's shorts! If you are standing up straight and half of your thigh is showing those should only be worn in the privacy of your own home! That is bing generous because my personal requirement is the top of my knee. I know someone will say something about the Coach's shorts and wearing baggy shorts but those same people probably still wear flat-front pants.

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Stick with the V-Neck shirts,

I wear black shorts, with black ankle socks, and my non-patent leather converse shoes, nicely shined.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:33am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Please people -- WHITE socks when you are wearing shorts! Otherwise you look like a newbie!!!
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

OK - I hate to chime in on such a silly issue, but black socks are definitely the way to go. The white ones look like little poofs when you run - I think black poses a better look.

My two cents.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Changed from black socks to white socks this summer. Black makes you look slow and God know's I'm slow enough already !
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

White socks. Was a camp last summer that the supervisor said "NO BLACK SOX". I prefer the white sock. Bottom line, if the league assigner or supervisor says wear green ones with pink strips, wear those. If at a camp, have both kinds of socks, take both long and short pants and be ready to adjust.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
White socks. I atteneded a camp that had a NBA ref as a guest. He said that the socks needed to be black. Even the D1 refs as observers said that white socks are the professionsl way to look, not black. I think I will stay with white over the summer and black in the winter with the pants.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 02:59pm
Huck Finn

This has become enough of an issue that a lot of camps specifically tell you what color of socks to wear and I've never heard anyone say black.

Show of hands, who wears the coach's shorts?

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It just looks funny.

This is about as unwritten as the belt and no belt argument. You better not wear black socks. Not if you are being observed by college evaluators. It looks corny.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have previously worn black footies that can't be seen unless you're staring at my ankles. This discussion has cleared things up for me though. White socks seems like a consensus.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The answer to white socks or black socks is very simple -- do it MY way!!

Seriously, you ask the assignor when he or she contacts you about doing the games. Wear what you are told. Period. If there's no prescription, wear what you prefer. If you are communicating well, and calling what needs to be called, people will be watching the game and won't care what color your socks are.

Just don't wear neon!
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my god, it must be slow around here. Now we're arguing white socks and black socks? Geez, get a life. If you're in shorts, you aren't wearing a regulation uniform anyway so who freakin' cares what color your socks are?

Z