The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Cool

Hi, my name is Brandan. I am 15 and from Louisiana and I am fixing to start calling summer leagues as well as recreation and Jr. High games. Is there anything that I should do/ no do? Any thing will help.

Thanks
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Question

Also, Where can I get a rule and a case book at?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Hi, my name is Brandan. I am 15 and from Louisiana and I am fixing to start calling summer leagues as well as recreation and Jr. High games. Is there anything that I should do/ no do? Any thing will help.

Thanks
Get a real whistle, like a Fox 40, and put lots of air in it when you make a call.

Signals, positioning, and judgement come with practice and experience, but the two things you can control the first time you are out there are a strong whistle and voice.

Try to find experienced officials in your area that do high school ball and use them as mentors if you can.

Have fun, and good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jun 1st, 2004 at 02:13 AM]
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Thanks
Get a real whistle, like a Fox 40, and put lots of air in it when you make a call.

Signals, positioning, and judgement come with practice and experience, but the two things you can control the first time you are out there are a strong whistle and voice.

Try to find experienced officials in your area that do high school ball and use them as mentors if you can.

Have fun, and good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jun 1st, 2004 at 02:13 AM]
Everything that blindzebra said, plus:

Check this board often. You will accelerate your learning by benefitting from the mistakes and ruminations of others.

Keep studying English. Communication is one of the most important skills a ref can have, and the more details you have correct in your language, the more credibility you have in other areas.

Learn early to listen a lot and criticize very little. Learn how to ask open-ended questions and how to weigh the answers you receive.

Keep having fun! No career is one jolly game after another, but if you go several weeks without enjoying any aspect of your work, you need to stop and consider if it's time to iron your stripes and hang them in the back of the closet.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Brandon, there are a lot of helpful thoughts in the following thread:

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/3284

Good luck to you. Let us know how your first games go!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
http://www.lhsaa.org/officials.htm
i would suggest going to this website the mannuals on their provide some good information
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, Where can I get a rule and a case book at?
http://www.nfhs.org or through your local HS officiating association, which buys them at a discount from the NFHS.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Brandan,

Welcome! You've been given some very good advice. You will definitely benefit if you take heed. If you don't you will most likely end up making many calls like my first call--which I made when I was 15 years old as a Soph. in H.S. It was a great call! Strong whistle. Tweet! Strong voice, "3 seconds in the key!" Ohhhhh. You're a defensive player, ooops!

You sound like you've got a great attitude as a base to build a great career on. Keep it--the great attitude, it should allow you to always be learning. The learning and great attitude should keep to a minimum the kind of call mentioned above.

Good luck! Have fun.

Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:54pm
In Time Out

New Ref

Brandon: See your local HS coach to see what officials association they use for the main season. Contact the president or any member of that local association to see if you can get last year's rule book to get started. Remember that each activity has its own rule book. NCAA men have a rule book which is different from NCAA Women while National Federation of High Schools has its own book. I would concentrate on the HS rule book first, especially reviewing and learning chapter 4 (Definitions) and then revert back to chapters 1-3; 5-10. Once you master or understand the definitions, the other chapters are a little easier to tie together. I must tell you that something in the way of rules, mechanics and points of emphasis changes every year for each --NCAA M; W and HS so use last year's book as your baseline and then grab the new year's book to see what changed.

Michael
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Keep studying English. Communication is one of the most important skills a ref can have, and the more details you have correct in your language, the more credibility you have in other areas.

[/B]
Juulie,

You are so diplomatic. I hope Brandan caught your well phrased, diplomatic advice. Nice.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Juulie,

You are so diplomatic. I hope Brandan caught your well phrased, diplomatic advice. Nice. [/B]
Sometimes. But there's no way to know what kind of school he attends or what the requirements are, so it wouldn't be fair to ride him too hard. Besides, he seems so sincere...