View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Hi, my name is Brandan. I am 15 and from Louisiana and I am fixing to start calling summer leagues as well as recreation and Jr. High games. Is there anything that I should do/ no do? Any thing will help.

Thanks
Get a real whistle, like a Fox 40, and put lots of air in it when you make a call.

Signals, positioning, and judgement come with practice and experience, but the two things you can control the first time you are out there are a strong whistle and voice.

Try to find experienced officials in your area that do high school ball and use them as mentors if you can.

Have fun, and good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jun 1st, 2004 at 02:13 AM]
Everything that blindzebra said, plus:

Check this board often. You will accelerate your learning by benefitting from the mistakes and ruminations of others.

Keep studying English. Communication is one of the most important skills a ref can have, and the more details you have correct in your language, the more credibility you have in other areas.

Learn early to listen a lot and criticize very little. Learn how to ask open-ended questions and how to weigh the answers you receive.

Keep having fun! No career is one jolly game after another, but if you go several weeks without enjoying any aspect of your work, you need to stop and consider if it's time to iron your stripes and hang them in the back of the closet.