The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

You have two players involved on a play B1 and B2 and they both smack A1 in the act of shooting at the exact same time. Who do you call the foul on or do you call a multiple foul? (yeah right) So you pick one... Now throw into mix B1 has four fouls B2 has 2. Who you going to pick?
This is exactly the play that I gave in the thread that disappeared and Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. said that he would call a multiple foul. I was surprised b/c I haven't heard of anyone actually calling this.

I agree with Kelvin that the higher the games (HS -> College -> etc) the more this becomes important. I'm not going to pay as much attention to how many fouls a 10 year old team's best player has committed. I think one thing that needs to be said is that it needs to be consistent. Make sure that you know both team's situations and not just the best player on the court.

I think it's easy to say that you need to call the same foul in the first 30 seconds as in the last 30 seconds but actually applying this is much more difficult b/c the game is usually very different at these two periods of time.

Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 5th/6th foul

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
I agree with ACE, this is a game management situation. The higher up the ladder we go, the more conferences we work, the more important it is to be aware of this type of situation.

It is just good game management or preventative officiating to be aware of as many situations as possible (ie, timeouts, AP, team fouls, player fouls).
I agree that you need to be aware of the situation but we do not need to turn game management situation into a game manipulation situation. I know the supervisors I work for require that all 5 be quality calls, not just the 5th
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: 5th/6th foul

Quote:
Originally posted by d1ref2b
I agree that you need to be aware of the situation but we do not need to turn game management situation into a game manipulation situation. I know the supervisors I work for require that all 5 be quality calls, not just the 5th
No one is disputing that, nor is anyone saying that what's called in the first 30 seconds of the game shouldn't be called in the last 30 seconds. None of that means that the game is being manipulated.

I wish I had a buck for every post that's ever been written on this topic. CHA-CHING!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

If foul selection is different for the 5th foul as opposed to foul 1 thru 4 then it is manipulation and not management.

Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
d1, no one is saying that the criteria for the 5th foul are different from those for the 1st foul. All we're saying is that you need to be aware of it.

When you get together with your partner in the last 30 seconds of a tie game and say, "The arrow's pointing to white, right?" is that manipulating the arrow? No. It's simply making sure that we're all on the same page and we are aware of the situation. B/c if your partner says, "No, I've got red arrow", you better fix it then -- instead of when you get the held ball and your both pointing different directions.

Same sitch with the 5th foul. No one's saying to hold the whistle unless it's flagrant. We're just saying that we should be aware of the situation, and on the same page with our partner and our table crew.

Does that sound so horrrrrrrrrrrrible? (Was Walton on that game? )
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: 5th/6th foul

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I wish I had a buck for every post that's ever been written on this topic. CHA-CHING!
Jeez, you already get $5 for the airball rebound question. Share the wealth, man!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Juuuuuulieeeee

Quote:
Julie

I am still waiting for you to give the particulars, as I have accepted the games and the dates in question are reserved as we agreed. I have yet to receive the where, and when info. You previously identified 2 locations.

Send me an email to give the updates.

Thanks
I've sent the schedule three times. I'm not saying this to be testy, perhaps you could help me figure out what I need to do differently this time. Is your e-mail address in the roster correct? I think that's the one I used.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Juuuuuulieeeee

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Julie

I am still waiting for you to give the particulars, as I have accepted the games and the dates in question are reserved as we agreed. I have yet to receive the where, and when info. You previously identified 2 locations.

Send me an email to give the updates.

Thanks
I've sent the schedule three times. I'm not saying this to be testy, perhaps you could help me figure out what I need to do differently this time. Is your e-mail address in the roster correct? I think that's the one I used.
Okay, never mind. I found the problem. I'll send it right now.

DavidW -- I'll go as far as to admit, I goofed, but I'm not copping to details. Too humiliating for words.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Juuuuuulieeeee

Quote:
DavidW -- I'll go as far as to admit, I goofed, but I'm not copping to details. Too humiliating for words. [/B]
Hmmm. Do I detect a pattern here?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Juuuuuulieeeee

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Quote:
DavidW -- I'll go as far as to admit, I goofed, but I'm not copping to details. Too humiliating for words.
Hmmm. Do I detect a pattern here? [/B]
Whoooo, yea......
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 05:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: I agree with footlocker

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
I have at times noticed that a player has 4 fouls (High School). However, it is the players and the coaches responsibility to make sure the player doesn't do something stupid.

Otherwise, someone with 4 fouls will get away with some fouls that otherwise would be called. To me consistancy is very important.

I had a game last week, where a guard pretended to throw the ball at an opponents face when taking the ball in bounds. I T'd him up right away. It was his second and he was out of the game. The team finished with 4 players. He was acting stupid.
I especially like it when a coach complains about a player's 5th when earlier in the game his team was fouled in the same manner and was glad I called it.

Happened in a game earlier this year. Coach came over to apologize after the game. Guess so. My only request that they learn from this and not complain next time. You know, maybe grow as a coach.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Thumbs up Get It Right!

The bottom line is to "GET IT RIGHT", sometimes what other people may perceive as incorrect prosedures may not look good on film, but we "ALL" should be striving to get the call right. And those who support this action as game management, I agree with you!