The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Are there one or two...or more...situations that you typically talk about with your partner(s) prior to working a game?

The basis for the question is this; In my first few games a couple of scenarios occurred where my partner made a call that I thought may have been incorrect.
1. A called kick ball where it appeared the ball hit the defenders foot but there was no intentional action by the defender.
2. A called travel where a girl was on her back with the ball (caught it while on the ground). She did not try to get up or roll over.

Now, I understand that he may have seen it differently than I did, and I did not tell him in either case that I thought he was wrong. But, I am wondering if, in the experience of others, there were a few situations that are commonly miscalled and therefore discussed in pregame meetings. Do you say something like, "Now, do we agree that a kick ball has to be intentional?"
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In your pre-game with your partner(s), you can talk about anything that you feel is relevant to the game. That can be previous history of the two teams, problems with the coaches, game situations, rules, mechanics or coverage questions.

My pre-game discussions are usually lengthy and very detailed. Others feel a more casual discussion is best. That's up to the two or three officials in the dressing room. But if you've had situations that have made you uncomfortable in past games, you should feel free to discuss those with your partner(s).
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I can certainly see how they could be lengthy. As I looked through the Official's Manual, I thought, "Whew, we're supposed to talk about all of this?"
Well, I guess now I know at least two things I will bring up; kicked ball and traveling. (And probably "first to touch after coming back inbounds" just for fun.)
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

P.S. -- here's the link to my pre-game notes

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/4369
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I can certainly see how they could be lengthy. As I looked through the Official's Manual, I thought, "Whew, we're supposed to talk about all of this?"
Well, I guess now I know at least two things I will bring up; kicked ball and traveling. (And probably "first to touch after coming back inbounds" just for fun.)
Some other important topics in ANY pregame:
- last second shots
- post play
- eye contact prior to putting the ball in play
- need to change a call
- basket interference and goal tendign
- jump ball responsibilities
- front court coverage
- back court coverage
- transition game coverage

Some other things I like to cover:
If there is a warning issued, make sure partner knows it.
If we do call T on coach, make sure we do everything possible to let the other official call the second if it is necessary.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Two thoughts;
1. Wow
2. Thanks
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Nu1 -- I've been working my way up, and have just finished my first varsity season. My experience has been that our game will be as good as our pre-game. If the pre-game is non-existent, your game could have a lot of problems. At the lower levels, it's just not always practical to have a lengthy, detailed pre-game. But what I try to do is connect with my partner. Ask, listen, talk, listen, respond, listen. The topics need to be things that YOU need to cover, and that your PARTNER needs to cover. Even if you've only got three minutes, you can connect if you are assertive and personable. If necessary, say, "Let's get together at the first time-out and talk about a couple more things." If you know your partner is weak in certain areas, try to cover them. If you know YOU are weak in certain areas, try to cover them. In my opinion, the most important thing you can do in the pre-game is develop a working relationship with your partner, based on who you are and how you work, and who your partner is and how she or he works.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'd add double whistles to that list, and any time you give a T get with your partner(s)before you administer any free throws.

As for the plays in the origional post, don't be afraid to ask what they had, or how they feel about the call. If you don't have a history with the official it might help to ask about a call you made first.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Great advice from all. I certainly am approaching it as "when in Rome" to a large degree. At the same time, I'm trying to do certain things "right" as much as possible; like mechanics.

I've made it a point to tell my first two partners, "I'm new. Feel free to talk to me. Give me suggestions or advice." I'm not sure when "I'm new" doesn't apply anymore, but I imagine I can use it for awhile.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

My pregames are long too. At the very least, 15 minutes long. But they can go up to about 30 depending on if we have worked together or if we are familiar with each other. But I cover mostly everything on that list (Official's Manual) and then some. Usually I will also cover situations and plays that have happen, mainly to make a point or to see how my partner's and I should handle things. Now if I have worked with someone many times, we will not usually go over the canned things, but the situations and special situations more.

As you become more experienced and have things happen in your games, you will learn to tailor your topics to what works for you and what you feel is important. Also pregames should be interactive, not just one person talking. Because usually the person in charge of the conference will forget very specific points that might need to be covered. You never want to go onto the floor not being sure how to do something. Especially those things that you do not see everyday.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Nu1,

Funny you should mention those two things. After having many partners call kicks and "on the ground" travels incorrectly, I added those two things to my pregame a few years ago.

I make sure we are on the same page by talking about what is illegal on a kick (intentional, knee down) and "on the ground" travels (OK to slide, not OK to make any attempt to get up).

It's pretty rare that my parnter(s) surprise me on these anymore.

Z
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I make sure we are on the same page by talking about what is illegal on a kick (intentional, knee down)
Hey zebraman, not 100% on this but I think the new rule is any part of the leg, not just knee down. Rule change for 2004-05. (still intentional.)
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I make sure we are on the same page by talking about what is illegal on a kick (intentional, knee down)
Hey zebraman, not 100% on this but I think the new rule is any part of the leg, not just knee down. Rule change for 2004-05. (still intentional.)
Yes, I think I remember seeing that too. If that's in the rule changes when we get our books, I'll update my pregame form for next season. Thanks.

Z
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

The notes have been updated, but only in minor ways. I update the new rules every season and the new mechanics and points of emphasis. Other than that, I don't tinker with it too much. So if you want, you can just replace those three sections with whatever comes out this year and then you and I will have the same notes.

If you really want to see the "minor" changes, let me know and I'll email them to you, but they're really not very exciting.