The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I'm a first year official, and I had a situation that I haven't been able to find in either the case or rule book. I was umpire watching the toss, and A1 tipped the ball to himself (ball didn't hit the floor or other players) and proceded to hold the ball when he came down with it. I blew the Fox 40 and ordered a re-jump -- was this the right call, or was it a violation on A1 where Team B should have been given the ball for a throw in?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Violation on A1, B gets the ball and the arrow. See casebook 6.3.1C, part d.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he caught it? Either way, Violation on A, Team B should get the ball, and the arrow.

The more important thing as a 1st year official is that you knew something was wrong. Now you will be ready if it happens again.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
I'm a first year official, and I had a situation that I haven't been able to find in either the case or rule book. I was umpire watching the toss, and A1 tipped the ball to himself (ball didn't hit the floor or other players) and proceded to hold the ball when he came down with it. I blew the Fox 40 and ordered a re-jump -- was this the right call, or was it a violation on A1 where Team B should have been given the ball for a throw in?
Violation! Ball to team B. (Also read 4-28-3 and 9-6.)
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Right.

And, for our friends from the North who use NCAA rules, B would get the ball but A would get the arrow.

Happened to me last night. Surprisingly, no one said a word when B got the ball and the arrow (Fed game).
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball violation

All of the posts above are correct. As a new official just remember that either jumper may tap the ball twice and then the ball must touch the floor or a non jumper before either jumper can grab the ball. If either jumper violates, the other team gets the ball and the arrow since player & team control was established by the catch. Good luck.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Here in ontario, we use Federation rules. The rest of Canada uses other rules. Either FIBA or NC2A.

..Mike
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brendemuehl
I don't have my case book here in the office, but it seems pretty fishy to me that B would get the ball and the arrow. For an OOB violation on the tip, the non-violating team gets the ball and the violating team gets the arrow. Why the double-penalty for a jump ball violation?
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 08:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I think NFHS changed the rule a year or two ago so that if A1 commits a jump ball violation, B gets the ball, and A gets the arrow.

I seem to remember this change being highlighted on the NFHS site.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ray, what on earth possessed you to dig up a 5 year old thread?!?!

Back then those answers were correct, but the FED changed the rule to match the NCAA rule. If Jumper A1 catches the jump ball, it's a violation. Team B gets the ball, Team A gets the arrow.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I don't have my case book here in the office, but it seems pretty fishy to me that B would get the ball and the arrow. For an OOB violation on the tip, the non-violating team gets the ball and the violating team gets the arrow. Why the double-penalty for a jump ball violation?
5 years ago, Team B got the ball and the arrow as the possession by A1 meant that Team A gained control. It was indeed a double penalty.

Stop digging in the archives.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Baldwin
All of the posts above are correct. As a new official just remember that either jumper may tap the ball twice and then the ball must touch the floor or a non jumper before either jumper can grab the ball. If either jumper violates, the other team gets the ball and the arrow since player & team control was established by the catch. Good luck.
So you are saying if the ball touches the floor then any of the jumpers can get it. I did not know that. I just thought it was if another player touches then the jumper can touch it.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2006, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

refTN, don't you own a rule book?

4-28-3
The jump ball begins when the ball leaves the referee's hand(s) and ends when the touched ball contacts a nonjumper, the floor, a basket or backboard.

6-3-7
Neither jumper shall:
a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
b. Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c. Catch the jump ball.
d. Touch the ball more than twice.
The jump ball and these restrictions end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, the floor, a basket or backboard.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Apr 08, 2006, 12:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Davism alert!

Many years ago, I was working a game with the immortal Dave. I was ref, he was umpire. I tossed. A1 tipped the ball, it hit B1 on the shoulder and then A1 grabbed it. Dave didn't blow his whistle and I wasn't really paying attention to that area so play continued. At the first break, coach B asked us why A1 was allowed to do that. Dave told him the ball had hit a "non-jumper" so it was legal. As we walked away, I asked Dave who the "non-junper" was. He said it was B1 - he had worked a number of his games and he hadn't seen him jump yet!
Old Sat Apr 08, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Ray, what on earth possessed you to dig up a 5 year old thread?!?!

Back then those answers were correct, but the FED changed the rule to match the NCAA rule. If Jumper A1 catches the jump ball, it's a violation. Team B gets the ball, Team A gets the arrow.
I ... ummmm ... hmmm, well, I was roaming around, in the archives apparently, and lost my way. My wife suggested I stop at the corner Chevron for directions. Like that's gonna happen! Then I got so excited to read a question I knew the answer to, I didn't bother the check the "born on" date.

BTW, I wouldn't have hedged my response so much except Gary quoted the case book. But even though I didn't realize this was such an old thread at the time, I was pretty sure he was reading an old case book.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 11:07pm.