The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody for the responses. I consider it part of good game management to avoid technicals and flagrants wherever possible(please understand I am not saying it is poor game managment to call technicals/flagrants, in fact good game managemnt may demand technicals) . As I officiate more and more games, I find I get better at handling situations like this. There is no substitute for experience.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
I consider it part of good game management to avoid technicals and flagrants wherever possible(please understand I am not saying it is poor game managment to call technicals/flagrants, in fact good game managemnt may demand technicals) .
Perhaps it would be better to say that good game management is knowing when the technical or flagrant can be avoided; but calling it when it's necessary.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I consider it part of good game management to avoid technicals and flagrants wherever possible(please understand I am not saying it is poor game managment to call technicals/flagrants, in fact good game managemnt may demand technicals) .
Perhaps it would be better to say that good game management is knowing when the technical or flagrant can be avoided; but calling it when it's necessary.
Yes Chuck, it would be. But what I am also trying to say is an official can help avoid technicals by being aware of the situation and doing whatever he can to prevent player/team behavior that demands a technical be called. For example, rough play by both teams. You've called fouls but rough play persists. Now is the time to get the captains together and warn them. If a T ensues, you've done your best to avoid it. Of course, some behavior warranting a T can come without warning. This is beyond the officials control. I hope I've exppressed my thinking a little better.

__________________________________________________ ______
"Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it."--George Santayana
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Quote:
But what I am also trying to say is an official can help avoid technicals by being aware of the situation and doing whatever he can to prevent player/team behavior that demands a technical be called.
I'm with you.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Say you'll watch for it, maybe talk to both team captains/coaches if you think it's warranted - seems about all you can do.

I was working a (flag) football game once where the offensive line of one team (my co-workers ) kept coming up to me saying that a player on the opposite team (grad students in my department ) was continually trash-talking and swearing at them when she went through the line. I kept on telling them I didn't hear anything (they claimed she was doing it quietly) and that I wasn't going to flag what I couldn't hear. Wouldn't have been any different no matter who was playing.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Say you'll watch for it, maybe talk to both team captains/coaches if you think it's warranted - seems about all you can do.

I was working a (flag) football game once where the offensive line of one team (my co-workers ) kept coming up to me saying that a player on the opposite team (grad students in my department ) was continually trash-talking and swearing at them when she went through the line. I kept on telling them I didn't hear anything (they claimed she was doing it quietly) and that I wasn't going to flag what I couldn't hear. Wouldn't have been any different no matter who was playing.
Girls trash talk? How does it compare to boys/men? Give me a sample
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That was the problem - I didn't hear any of it!
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Girls trash talk? How does it compare to boys/men? Give me a sample [/B]
Girls trash talk goes something like this:

"YOU ARE LIKE SO NOT PRETTY!"
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Girls trash talk goes something like this:

"YOU ARE LIKE SO NOT PRETTY!" [/B]

Mark - that's just the girls talking to you when you wear fishnets.