The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Referee shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13737-referee-shoes.html)

Burtis449 Wed May 19, 2004 01:46pm

Where can I get referee shoes that will shine up like patten leather but are not patten leather!!

I have two (2) pair of spot built shoes that must be fifteen (15) yrs. old and are really shineable but must be replaced because of age/wear.

I have several other ref shoes that I use for "summer Ball", etc. but I want spit shinable footwear for the regular season games that I do. Any ideas where to shop for these?

diner30 Wed May 19, 2004 02:10pm

It is going to be tough to find ones that shine up like patent leather, because so many shoes now are a synthetic.

bob jenkins Wed May 19, 2004 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by diner30
It is going to be tough to find ones that shine up like patent leather, because so many shoes now are a synthetic.
As opposed to patent leather which is ... ? ;)

I use leather luster on some of mine and Urad shoe cream on the others. Both work.

whistleone Wed May 19, 2004 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Burtis449

I have two (2) pair of spot built shoes that must be fifteen (15) yrs. old and are really shineable but must be replaced because of age/wear.

15 years old?!? I hate to sound rude but it may be time to retire those puppies. They're almost antiques!

blindzebra Wed May 19, 2004 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Burtis449
Where can I get referee shoes that will shine up like patten leather but are not patten leather!!

I have several other ref shoes that I use for "summer Ball", etc. but I want spit shinable footwear for the regular season games that I do. Any ideas where to shop for these?

I have some Adidas A3 leather that shine really well with Griffin shoe polish, so any real leather shoe will work, but as been said, real leather is hard to find.

JRutledge Wed May 19, 2004 03:02pm

Not a shoe, but a spray.

I do own the Patent Leather Whistle All-Stars, I love them and has less worry with them.

But during the baseball season I have been using the <b>Shine 2000</b> made by a company out of Chicago. This stuff is great and I do not have to shine shoes for several days after one application. And I am talking about baseball where there is dirt and grime all over the place. I can only imagine what happens in a indoor environment.

With the shoes made today, it was almost impossible to get a good shine on a shoe without something good to put on them. Because the normal show polish do not work as well on them.

Peace

JAdams Thu May 20, 2004 08:37am

Leather Luster, when applied properly, is what you want. Find their products on the web at http://www.leatherluster.com. I've used the stuff for years, and I swear by it.

zebraman Thu May 20, 2004 12:37pm

I guess I'm in the minority because I like the patent leather shoes.

My time is precious during the season (so many games, so little sleep) and I love not having to spend time shining up my shoes. The time I save is worth a few extra bucks.

Z

TPS2859 Thu May 20, 2004 01:16pm

Sold shoes for 22 years of my life. (Fixed them for 15 of those yrs.)

The BEST way to shine shoes is will black Meltonian cream, applied with a horse hair brush,buff with a horse hair brush, then spray with a light coat of Majax shoe shine.

I'll put that shine up against any "painted" on finish, plus your shoes will never crack from closing up the leather(they too need to breath).

ref18 Thu May 20, 2004 02:43pm

Get the patent leather shoes. A perfect shine with no work.

TPS2859 Thu May 20, 2004 03:22pm

After awhile do your feet begin to take on a new oder?

JRutledge Thu May 20, 2004 10:52pm

Personal preference

Quote:

Originally posted by TPS2859

I'll put that shine up against any "painted" on finish, plus your shoes will never crack from closing up the leather(they too need to breath).

Whatever works for you. I would rather not have to work to just put a shine on the shoes. But that is just me. ;)

Peace

tjchamp Fri May 21, 2004 08:18am

So, what are the three most popular brands being used? Anybody of have real good/bad experiences with one brand of shoe?

Malcolm Tucker Wed May 26, 2004 04:37pm

Patent Leather Shoes!!!!

I ain't going dancing

w_sohl Wed May 26, 2004 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
Patent Leather Shoes!!!!

I ain't going dancing

You might not be going dancing, but they look real nice on the court. I love the comments you get from fans in the stands. "Your shoes are real shiny!"