The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

"I'm an animal lover...they taste great!"

I was a first year P.E. and science teacher when Mt. Saint Helen's blew. We were studying volcanos at the time...so she blew at the perfect time. (Of course ol' Harry Truman might not think so)

I was teaching near Boise, ID...so we didn't really get any ash...but my buddies in the Tri-Cities, where I'm from and currently live, certainly did!

They said they woke up that Sunday morning to a big black cloud coming toward them from the west. They thought it was a giant rain storm coming...untill the ash started falling and the cars started "choking" out. Man, the mechanics got rich that year...with all the ash infected engines breaking down.

You guys from the east might have trouble believing the POWER of that blast! The trees around the mountain were blown over like matchsticks. The government left them laying like that to this day to show the magnificent display of force the explosion had.

Does anyone have a pic they could share of the explosion or of the trees laying down?

Richland, WA
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I was a first year P.E. and science teacher when Mt. Saint Helen's blew. We were studying volcanos at the time...so she blew at the perfect time. (Of course ol' Harry Truman might not think so)

I was teaching near Boise, ID...so we didn't really get any ash...but my buddies in the Tri-Cities, where I'm from and currently live, certainly did!

They said they woke up that Sunday morning to a big black cloud coming toward them from the west. They thought it was a giant rain storm coming...untill the ash started falling and the cars started "choking" out. Man, the mechanics got rich that year...with all the ash infected engines breaking down.

You guys from the east might have trouble believing the POWER of that blast! The trees around the mountain were blown over like matchsticks. The government left them laying like that to this day to show the magnificent display of force the explosion had.

Does anyone have a pic they could share of the explosion or of the trees laying down?

I remember those pictures of the trees laying down around Mt St Helens but I couldn't find one. Very impressive

But I must say we guys from the east are not entirely clueless when it comes to impressive explosions and dust. Here's a picture:

Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I remember those pictures of the trees laying down around Mt St Helens but I couldn't find one. Very impressive

But I must say we guys from the east are not entirely clueless when it comes to impressive explosions and dust. Here's a picture:

Well said...
I thought about that after I typed my statement.

The difference is Nature's power vs. Man's power...or Nature's distruction vs. Man's distruction.

[Edited by RookieDude on May 19th, 2004 at 11:40 PM]
Richland, WA
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nature's distruction vs. Man's distruction.
Won't be anything close to the power of the blast rainmaker is going to hit you with for that spelling.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Won't be anything close to the power of the blast rainmaker is going to hit you with for that spelling.
Not tonight. I'm pooped. And besides, I've never made a blast about anything that would come within 10 orders of magnitude of Mt St Helens, or 9-11.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well said...
I thought about that after I typed my statement.

The difference is Nature's power vs. Man's power...or Nature's distruction vs. Man's distruction.

[Edited by RookieDude on May 19th, 2004 at 11:40 PM]
Yeah, I know what you meant. Interesting thing is as I was stumbling around the internet looking for your picture google gave me the picture I posted. I thought twice before posting it, maybe too much buzz kill.

One thing for sure the guy who took that picture is a hell of a photographer.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From USGS Page on Mt. St. Helens

This picture shows an entire hillside of trees that were blown down from right to left. The ones to the left of the hill were shielded from the direct blast but were singed from the heat.

This one shows a closer view of the trees.

A blast that blows away a cone of mountain that has a 3 square mile base and 1/4 mile high is simply stunning.

[Edited by Camron Rust on May 20th, 2004 at 01:50 PM]
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Camron, thanks for the pix & link!

I recall there was an arial shot that showed a swirling pattern of fallen trees through the blast area.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Whoops...I spelled destruction with an i on my 16th hour of work that day...well that's my story and I'm stecking to it.
(Thanks for the pics Camron)

[Edited by RookieDude on May 21st, 2004 at 07:34 AM]
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Wasn't there a bumper sticker that said "Welcome to Oregon. Now go home."
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure "Welcome to New Hampshire. Now go home" came first.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My favorite anti-Bush one:

"Redefeat the President in '04"
Until about six months ago, my friend had one that said, "Re-elect Gore in 2004."
I don't want to start a political upheaval, but I think these are sad. He won, not just through judicial maneuvering, but by the actual votes cast, as validated by two separate private re-counts by different Florida newspapers, as well as a six-month research project by University of Chicago.

It was ugly, pathetic, sad on both sides; and not a particularly shining moment in American history. But to continue the "he stole the election" harangue -- 4 years later -- is unfortunate, IMHO.

Here's a link, albeit an old one. It's from CNN (which is generally thought to be more "liberal" than the average news outlet).

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/flo...ries/main.html
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First time I saw this one I laughed so hard I had to pull over. But the T shirt I saw was a little less subtle:

"If you can read this the b1tch fell off"
That's the version I've seen too. I don't ride anymore, sadly

Quote:
"Dyslexics Untie!"

That one is actually a Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson from the early '80s.

Quote:
"Jesus is coming. Look busy"

My favorite version of the "The End is Near" genre is: God is returning. And, boy, is she pissed!
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
When I bought my car about two years ago, I had one made special that said, "Stop Serial Substitutions!!" but I got tired of explaining it.
Uhmmmm......huh?
You gotta think basketball for this one, Dan. I know that's hard for you. . .

(Horn, wave 'em in. Horn, wave 'em in. Horn, wave 'em in. . .)
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Camron, thanks for the pix & link!
For once, I agree with Dan. Great pictures on that site. Thanks, Camron.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
First time I saw this one I laughed so hard I had to pull over. But the T shirt I saw was a little less subtle:

"If you can read this the b1tch fell off"
That's the version I've seen too. I don't ride anymore, sadly

Quote:
"Dyslexics Untie!"

That one is actually a Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson from the early '80s.

Quote:
"Jesus is coming. Look busy"

My favorite version of the "The End is Near" genre is: God is returning. And, boy, is she pissed!
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
When I bought my car about two years ago, I had one made special that said, "Stop Serial Substitutions!!" but I got tired of explaining it.
Uhmmmm......huh?
You gotta think basketball for this one, Dan. I know that's hard for you. . .

(Horn, wave 'em in. Horn, wave 'em in. Horn, wave 'em in. . .)
Chuck -- Welcome home.