The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to clewis
It is understood that on a try, when a ball is lodged between the rim and the backboard, we go to the "arrow".
The question is... How does this differ from when try is made and the ball, we'll say, bounces off the rim and over the top of a rectangular backboard. Why do we give the ball to the non-shooting team and not go to the arrow?
My understanding is that once the try is made, there is no player or team control. So how do the two senarios differ and how is the above question answered correctly.
Chuck
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

the air space behind the backboard is out of bounds, therefore once the ball passes behind the board it team that last touched it is considered to have caused it to have gone OOB.
(This happened tonight in a HS Scrimmage that I was working, well almost, the try bounded high off the rim, began to bounce/roll along the top of the backboard and before it could roll off behind the glass it came to rest along the main vertical colum that the backboard is mounted to, and the thought crossed my mind, I wonder if an officialo has ever "gone to the arrow" on this play!
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 03:26am
certified Hot Mom tester

Obviously, on a "wedgie", the ball has become unplayable without going OOB. That's why we go to the AP arrow. Whenever the ball does go OOB, however, the last team to touch causes it to go out, so the other team gets the ball, even if there was no team or player control. A simple example of this is on a throw-in. A1 inbounds, ball slapped by B1 and goes OOB. There was no player or team control, but there is no AP, just a throw-in by A due to a violation.

Actually, what's wrong with considering the ball to still be in play on a wedgie, and letting someone jump up and knock it loose, then let play continue. It's not really "on the rim" when it's touched, so it's not BI. Only kidding.

BTW - clewis - do you ever get teased and called "clewless"?
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't want to be picky, but this actually happened to me once.

As stated in the original post, if a "live ball lodges" (6-3-3-d), you go to the arrow. But if on a throw-in, the thrower causes the ball to lodge, it is a violation and goes to the defense (9-2-8).

For some reason - probably because of all the kibitzing with other officials like on this board - I knew this and called it correctly. Of course no one else agreed with me and they let me know it - loudly.
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 04:21pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Originally posted by Todd (Mike) Mullen on 12-08-1999 01:41 PM
For some reason - probably because of all the kibitzing with other officials like on this board - I knew this and called it correctly. Of course no one else agreed with me and they let me know it - loudly.

That's because they all knew that the correct call should have been 3 seconds!