The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

As a follow to my original post, I spoke to my partner from Friday about how we handled that game in light of how the game went yesterday and determined that there was nothing really in our game that we could have done differently from a game management point of view. We controlled the coach by communicating with him ("I'll give it a look coach," "I hear you coach," etc)and basically letting him know where the line was. The officials in the other game ignored the behavior of the coach and it got worse. In my opinion, coaches have to be addressed in some form, or their behavior will simply get progressively worse.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
A "T" may be "just another call," but it isn't the only way to prevent bad behavior. When I first started officiating, I ignored coach behavior until he/she "crossed my line" and then I gave a T.

My approach now is way different. As soon as I see that a coach is starting to complain too much, I get over there as soon as possible and have a quick respectful conversation with him. Usually, that's all it takes and he/she realizes that I'm human and that I'm not going to let him/her behave that way all night.

Now if a couple of "respectful interventions" don't work, then we might be heading towards a T but I have found that there are much more effective and quicker ways to curb coach behavior.

Z
Zebraman, from my perspective on the sideline, your approach works wonders. While I've never been T'd in 12 years (more or less) of coaching, I've certainly found that an official who will talk to me respectfully when my frustration level is running high, will help me settle down. It also improves my ability to help my kids by getting my head back in the game and off of individual events within the game.
I think many time coaches can't let go of something (like a call they didn't like), then subsequent events just add to it. I bet that your kind of intervention can be pretty effective at helping them to let go and get back to their jobs.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
- Friedrich Nietzsche -
You always have the best signature lines!
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Zebraman, from my perspective on the sideline, your approach works wonders. While I've never been T'd in 12 years (more or less) of coaching, I've certainly found that an official who will talk to me respectfully when my frustration level is running high, will help me settle down. It also improves my ability to help my kids by getting my head back in the game and off of individual events within the game.
I think many time coaches can't let go of something (like a call they didn't like), then subsequent events just add to it. I bet that your kind of intervention can be pretty effective at helping them to let go and get back to their jobs.
Butch,
It really is amazing how well this works. At my last state tourney, there was this one coach who was just being a crazy man in his first two games. None of the refs dealt with his ranting and yelling which I think really hurt them in their evaluations (they all got sent home quickly). I had him in my third game and the first time he started wandering and yelling I just walked over to him and said, "hey coach, what did you see that I didn't see?" He said something about his player getting pushed and all I said was, "I didn't see it that way coach, but I'll keep an eye on that. But coach, I really need you to ask in a respectful way rather than running out of your box and yelling OK?" He just smiled sheepishly and said, "OK, sorry." He was a complete gentleman the rest of the game and just asked legit questions and stayed in his box.

Now it doesn't work that well everytime, but I guarantee you that the game would have been a nightmare (or a quick T) had I not gone over and addressed him respectfully right away.

Z
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

When do you all have all this time to talk to coaches? During time-outs? I often want to diffuse a coach who disagrees with a call, but am torn between taking care of the coach or getting in position for the inbounds.

I often play politician in the first half. In the second half (if he proves to be an idiot), he gets concise answers and a strong warning. After that, T city.

Luther
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
When do you all have all this time to talk to coaches? During time-outs? I often want to diffuse a coach who disagrees with a call, but am torn between taking care of the coach or getting in position for the inbounds.

I often play politician in the first half. In the second half (if he proves to be an idiot), he gets concise answers and a strong warning. After that, T city.

Luther
Luther,

You can talk to a coach anytime you find yourself standing next to him.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

If you are doing a lot of 3 Person, it is really easy. Usually at least one official is standing next to the benches.

Peace
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:46am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Butch,
It really is amazing how well this works. At my last state tourney, there was this one coach who was just being a crazy man in his first two games. None of the refs dealt with his ranting and yelling which I think really hurt them in their evaluations (they all got sent home quickly). I had him in my third game and the first time he started wandering and yelling I just walked over to him and said, "hey coach, what did you see that I didn't see?" He said something about his player getting pushed and all I said was, "I didn't see it that way coach, but I'll keep an eye on that. But coach, I really need you to ask in a respectful way rather than running out of your box and yelling OK?" He just smiled sheepishly and said, "OK, sorry." He was a complete gentleman the rest of the game and just asked legit questions and stayed in his box.

Now it doesn't work that well everytime, but I guarantee you that the game would have been a nightmare (or a quick T) had I not gone over and addressed him respectfully right away.

Z
Hey Z, which tournament was this at? Just wondering if I have come across this coach before...tell me the level and gender and let me try to guess which school, ok??
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:

Luther
It doesn't have to be even anything close to a full conversation, and it doesn't have to be on every call the guy dissgrees with. But, every so often, when you're running by, if the coach is beginning to rant about a "travel" you didn't call because of an interrupted dribble, all you've got to do is say "Interrupted dribble, coach", and he's very likely to let it go. In fact, you may have blown the call, but it won't matter to him anymore. He has let it go, and you've run past so he can't argue with you. His attention is now back on the game, not on being upset with you or the call. If you don't do that, he may ultimately reach the point that no amount of talk will calm him. I personally have no use for coaches who want to argue, and if, as you say, he proves to be an idiot, I'd be the first to applaud you sending him to "T city" - particularly if he was my opponent .
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Quote:

Luther
It doesn't have to be even anything close to a full conversation, and it doesn't have to be on every call the guy dissgrees with. But, every so often, when you're running by, if the coach is beginning to rant about a "travel" you didn't call because of an interrupted dribble, all you've got to do is...
...call a travel on him (j/k)

My two sense!
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Hey Z, which tournament was this at? Just wondering if I have come across this coach before...tell me the level and gender and let me try to guess which school, ok??
Washington State Girls 1A. Now guess.

Z
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Speaking of ts coming in situations here's a story from the kingwood classic:

Coach down by 24 points.. Complaining. I give him a soft two-hand stop sign (my back is to the scoreboard)go down the floor come back he's still going - give him a hard 2 handed stop sign. Go down the floor come back - player goes up for the shot and he stands up and in a raised voice says to the back of my head, I want an AND 1 ON THAT!" So I t'd him. Now - Had I realized he was down by 40 points with only 2 mintues left in the game I probably would have given him one more stern hard warning and been done with it.

Georgia Techs coach got my attention as I was walking off the floor and said, "You look like a smart guy and a damn good referee, I was shocked to see you drop that technical on that coach." I told him "thats what happens when u cant see what the situation is and you have to take care of business some how."
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 05:32am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ace

Coach down by 24 points.. Complaining. I give him a soft two-hand stop sign (my back is to the scoreboard)go down the floor come back he's still going - give him a hard 2 handed stop sign. Go down the floor come back - player goes up for the shot and he stands up and in a raised voice says to the back of my head, I want an AND 1 ON THAT!" So I t'd him. Now - Had I realized he was down by 40 points with only 2 mintues left in the game I probably would have given him one more stern hard warning and been done with it.

Georgia Techs coach got my attention as I was walking off the floor and said, "You look like a smart guy and a damn good referee, I was shocked to see you drop that technical on that coach." I told him "thats what happens when u cant see what the situation is and you have to take care of business some how."
So, I count four stop signs (why did you use two hands?)and a T at the end of the game. A team is down by 40 points with two minutes to go and you say you can't see what the situation is? With the information you have given I find it hard to see giving this coach a T. How does the saying go "there was nothing left but the crying" or something like that. I would have been trying to keep the clock running.
I will end with this. IMHO, it is difficult to say for sure whether you had no choice. I can't see it but I wasn't there and I didn't go through this the entire game. If the coach behaved badly the entire game you should have got him early. From reading your post, what he said is becoming more common and to read it doesn't trigger anything worthy of a T.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

So, I count four stop signs (why did you use two hands?)and a T at the end of the game. A team is down by 40 points with two minutes to go and you say you can't see what the situation is? With the information you have given I find it hard to see giving this coach a T. How does the saying go "there was nothing left but the crying" or something like that. I would have been trying to keep the clock running.
I will end with this. IMHO, it is difficult to say for sure whether you had no choice. I can't see it but I wasn't there and I didn't go through this the entire game. If the coach behaved badly the entire game you should have got him early. From reading your post, what he said is becoming more common and to read it doesn't trigger anything worthy of a T.
I think that was the point of the last paragraph, Tom...
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 09:32am
Huck Finn

Rainmaker, are you saying that he was telling coach Hewitt that the coach didn't see the situation?