The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
The post in which you are refereeing to (the hostile one) was probably up on the board for a total of 3 minutes. I had ment to not even hit post which is why I deleted it and replaced it with the calmer one. Lets just all drop it and move on. What stays in this thread stays in this thread because I'd hate for this to carry out of here onto other parts of the board. This is my last post in this thread.

I will also say that officiting is one of the few things in life that I can be bluntly hoenst about when I screw something up... And like i've said a few times already in this thread, I screwed up.
Fine by me.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:04pm
Huck Finn

I would just like to say that I just read all of Ace's posts about this game and I did not see "I screwed up", "I made a mistake" or anything like that. He did say " I could handled it differently. Nuff said." That doesn't sound like "I screwed up" to me. I'm sorry but I just see this a little more black and white than Ace. I mess up all the time and I will say it just like that, "I messed up." I think that having a difficult clock to see would make me that much more aware of it. Also, at some point my partner(s) and I would come together during a timeout to talk about the climate of the game. That is another opportunity to know the situation. I just don't think this can be excused.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I would just like to say that I just read all of Ace's posts about this game and I did not see "I screwed up", "I made a mistake" or anything like that. I just don't think this can be excused.
That might come back to bite you. We all make mistakes from time to time. Hopefully they can all be excused because we have no choice but to learn from them and move on. Ace isn't required to write, "I screwed up" on the blackboard 100 times to get his hall pass.

Everyone let it go and move on!

Z
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I would just like to say that I just read all of Ace's posts about this game and I did not see "I screwed up", "I made a mistake" or anything like that. He did say " I could handled it differently. Nuff said." That doesn't sound like "I screwed up" to me. I'm sorry but I just see this a little more black and white than Ace. I mess up all the time and I will say it just like that, "I messed up." I think that having a difficult clock to see would make me that much more aware of it. Also, at some point my partner(s) and I would come together during a timeout to talk about the climate of the game. That is another opportunity to know the situation. I just don't think this can be excused.
F@ck that.

Who made you judge & jury?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Rules of the Road for screw-ups

If anybody here ever makes a mistake or error in judgment, however slight, and you choose to discuss this mistake/error on this board, please do the following:

In the subject line put "I am such an idiot" and use the thumbs down icon to fully demonstrate that what follows is a tremendous wrong that you have perpetrated.

Commence your description of the situation with the following lines. "I can't believe I am so stupid. I screwed up so badly that I am reconsidering why I ever thought I could handle reffing {insert appropriate level/gender of basket ball here}. Just so that everyone else can fully understand what a complete jerk I am, here is what happened {last night/last week/last year/to a close friend of mine with sexual dysfunction}."

This will help everyone here understand that you know you made a boo-boo and are simply wishing to share your abject failure with your fellow refs, who would never do such a thing themselves.

Oh, and be sure to email a notification of your posting to BBallCoach to help him with his own vulnerabilities.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rules of the Road for screw-ups

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
If anybody here ever makes a mistake or error in judgment, however slight, and you choose to discuss this mistake/error on this board, please do the following:

In the subject line put "I am such an idiot" and use the thumbs down icon to fully demonstrate that what follows is a tremendous wrong that you have perpetrated.

Commence your description of the situation with the following lines. "I can't believe I am so stupid. I screwed up so badly that I am reconsidering why I ever thought I could handle reffing {insert appropriate level/gender of basket ball here}. Just so that everyone else can fully understand what a complete jerk I am, here is what happened {last night/last week/last year/to a close friend of mine with sexual dysfunction}."

This will help everyone here understand that you know you made a boo-boo and are simply wishing to share your abject failure with your fellow refs, who would never do such a thing themselves.

Oh, and be sure to email a notification of your posting to BBallCoach to help him with his own vulnerabilities.
Who sharpens the Hari-Kari knife?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

That is a function of the head coach (assistant can't deal with the ref). If BBallCoach is really a head coach, he has first priority, followed by the USBL jerk, then the Coaches K (not sure order of precedence between those two).

If it is Duke's Coach K, Chris Collins does it if it happens at halftime of a televised game.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
That is a function of the head coach (assistant can't deal with the ref). If BBallCoach is really a head coach, he has first priority, followed by the USBL jerk, then the Coaches K (not sure order of precedence between those two).

If it is Duke's Coach K, Chris Collins does it if it happens at halftime of a televised game.
Hmmm...I would have thought the assignor has a set of pre-sharpened knives available.

Perspective is everything!
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 05:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Tom, you're way out of line on this one. What you are giving out is simply your OPINION on what Ace shoulda done. You weren't there, and you don't know all the circumstances. These plays get posted as a learning experience for ALL of us, not just the poster. Quit playing God.

Ace, thanks for posting. Please don't let any of this deter you from posting again in the future. If anything, it'll help you develop a thick skin.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 14th, 2004 at 06:38 PM]
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:41pm
Huck Finn

Hold on, hold on. I need to back track from my previous post or should I say, I screwed up.
I did not mean to come off like someone who doesn't make mistakes or God. I should have made myself clear. Ace got upset about what blindzebra said and posted the following

"And like i've said a few times already in this thread, I screwed up."

Well, he did not say that in any post so, no I'm not Judge and Jury or God but if someone says they said something then at least they should have the courtesy to have said it.

So, zebraman, yes I screw up and I can say it plain and simple like I did at the beginning of this post clearly.

Jurassic, look at my post on page 2 of this thread. I was the first person to post after Ace and this is part of that post
"IMHO, it is difficult to say for sure whether you had no choice. I can't see it but I wasn't there and I didn't go through this the entire game."
This is what you put in your last post to me
"You weren't there, and you don't know all the circumstances."
Sounds kind of similar doesn't it?

Also, and this is classic for being taken out of context, this is my post on page 5
"I would just like to say that I just read all of Ace's posts about this game and I did not see "I screwed up", "I made a mistake" or anything like that. He did say " I could handled it differently. Nuff said." That doesn't sound like "I screwed up" to me. I'm sorry but I just see this a little more black and white than Ace. I mess up all the time and I will say it just like that, "I messed up." I think that having a difficult clock to see would make me that much more aware of it. Also, at some point my partner(s) and I would come together during a timeout to talk about the climate of the game. That is another opportunity to know the situation. I just don't think this can be excused."

This is what zebraman had as my quote from that post
"I would just like to say that I just read all of Ace's posts about this game and I did not see "I screwed up", "I made a mistake" or anything like that. I just don't think this can be excused."
So zebraman made it seem like I was saying it can't be excused that Ace didn't use the exact words "I screwed up" when I was talking about excusing the fact that he did not know the game situation. Is anyone questioning the fact that we should know the game situation?

Ace, if I said something to offend you, I'm sorry. I do not want to do anything to discourage you or anyone else from posting.

The next time I screw up, probably my next game, I will post about it. Hey, four guys just tried to change my words around and rip me a new one and I'm not discouraged.

This is life, I post and I'm told I'm out of line. Jurassic posts and several people ask if he is in a bad mood or grumpy.

[Edited by tomegun on May 14th, 2004 at 10:45 PM]