The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just switched to stripes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13559-just-switched-stripes.html)

Chin Ref Sat May 08, 2004 08:20pm

I just think its OK to switch uniform every few years as we, the players, the coaches & the fans will feel not so bored about us. Of course, professional look should come first.

rainmaker Sat May 08, 2004 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Chin Ref
... as we, the players, the coaches & the fans will feel not so bored about us...
Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play!

ref18 Sat May 08, 2004 10:37pm

the game can be played without coaches
the game can be played without officials
the game cannot be played without players,

I don't think the parents usually think about what the refs are wearing.

Although, i was watching some of the european professional on that NBA channel. The refs were wearing RED shirts, like those a soccer official would wear. I couldn't believe it, they looked so awful, and their 3-man mechanics were a bit off, they had 2 centres instead of 1 centre and a trail, but that's another topic.

blindzebra Sun May 09, 2004 02:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18

Although, i was watching some of the european professional on that NBA channel. The refs were wearing RED shirts, like those a soccer official would wear. I couldn't believe it, they looked so awful, and their 3-man mechanics were a bit off, they had 2 centres instead of 1 centre and a trail, but that's another topic.

I get called "blue" all the time by players, fans and coaches so who knows what they are thinking!

Chin Ref Sun May 09, 2004 03:24am

Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play! [/B][/QUOTE]

I always want to move up no matter how good I think I am. That's why I want to come to one of camps in summer, if I can afford it. Any suggestion, Julie

Bobby Sun May 09, 2004 06:40am

Quote:

Actually the Union of European Basketball Leagues has a deal with Sara Lee (Champion) for their uniforms and the officials have two color combinations and the shirt rules are similar to soccer -- the scheme which does not look too similar to one team's jersey will be the one worn. If one team's jersey is blue, then the officials wear red. If one team's jersey is red, the officials wear blue. ULEB is also pondering working with the NBA on more officials training and many believe the ULEB prefers to work with the NBA instead of FIBA, which has shorn the ULEB referees, and the ULEB struck back by adopting the NBA's jump ball rule instead of the NCAA rules used by FIBA. (Hank Nichols is on the FIBA rules panel.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA help the ULEB in training officials.

I also have been talking with some officials for next year's youth leagues and one proposal is to officially go gray because of the studies between traditional stripes and the NBA/FIBA gray.

rgaudreau Sun May 09, 2004 08:55am

Up in Northern ONtario, we started the transition to stripes this year, by wearing them for Championship games and in tournaments.

Next year, we're all going with stripes.

I think it looks good.

REn

rainmaker Sun May 09, 2004 08:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by Chin Ref
Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play!
I always want to move up no matter how good I think I am. That's why I want to come to one of camps in summer, if I can afford it. Any suggestion, Julie [/B][/QUOTE]

Camp where? Where are you now? What level do you work now? How many years experience? What rules do you want to learn under?

lrpalmer3 Fri May 14, 2004 09:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

I get called "blue" all the time by players, fans and coaches so who knows what they are thinking!

I've mistakenly called basketball refs "blue" before. It's a baseball thing.

TPS2859 Fri May 14, 2004 10:13am

Last year I started wearing the black "body armour" under my strips and it feels great.

ref18 Sat May 15, 2004 08:34pm

That body armour stuff is expensive, i think it costs about the same as the striped shirt.

I think i'm just gonna get the McDavid Shirts.

ace Sun May 16, 2004 01:57am

Ref18 UnderArmor and McDavid or about the same price and almost the same product. I've worn both back when I was playing football and my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid. Both are fine products. I havnt used McDavid for basketball so I couldnt tell ya. I can get my under-armors pretty cheap.

rainmaker Sun May 16, 2004 07:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
.... my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid.
Is that teers as in crying? Or tares as in ripping? I wouldn't think ripping would be an issue in basketball. crying would depend on the level of play.

Jurassic Referee Sun May 16, 2004 07:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by ace
.... my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid.
Is that teers as in crying? Or tares as in ripping? I wouldn't think ripping would be an issue in basketball. crying would depend on the level of play.

Oh,deer!

ref18 Sun May 16, 2004 03:06pm

Quote:

That body armour stuff is expensive, i think it costs about the same as the striped shirt.

I think i'm just gonna get the McDavid Shirts.

I was referring to the striped shirts made of the Intera fabric. I don't think under armour makes striped shirts, how ever the compression shorts that i have are made by under armour, and i am very pleased with their performance. They were just a bit expensive.