The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 11:56am
In Memoriam

This is what I thought I saw last night.

Net Richard Jefferson (I think), with two handed offensive rebound (near FT extended), outlet passed 25' down the court. With no teammate, or opponent, going after it, he turned it on grabbed the ball with both hands and started a dribble. Easy, hustle two points.

Also, (I think) I saw more touch fouls against Detroit after the games got out of hand (late in the 4th Detroit 16-20 delta).

Can't wait for Friday night. Should be a fun series.

mick
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Net Richard Jefferson (I think), with two handed offensive rebound (near FT extended), outlet passed 25' down the court. With no teammate, or opponent, going after it, he turned it on grabbed the ball with both hands and started a dribble. Easy, hustle two points.
Hey, you had the angle, right? Cuz you're a ref? Must have seen it all!
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking What I thought I saw. . .

. . . was a good ole fashioned butt-whippin.

Will the real New Jersey Nets please stand up.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Net Richard Jefferson (I think), with two handed offensive rebound (near FT extended), outlet passed 25' down the court. With no teammate, or opponent, going after it, he turned it on grabbed the ball with both hands and started a dribble.
Well, Mick, I have no idea what the NBA rules are, but in a NFHS game I'm calling double-dribble. I'm guessing that was your point for making this post.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Mick, if that in fact happened, it would be a violation by NBA rules for being the first to touch your own pass.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Mick, if that in fact happened, it would be a violation by NBA rules for being the first to touch your own pass.
ELI!!!! (html for big flashing red letters!)

Welcome back! Any words of encouragement or advice for us little folks? Are you working much this summer? We'd LOVE to have you around here!
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

wait a sec...

"offensive rebound"???????

I think I have back court.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Re: wait a sec.... Yer right!

Quote:
Originally posted by dcswede
"offensive rebound"???????

I think I have back court.
I kicked it.
It was a defensive rebound that started the one man break and pass to himself.
Thanks
mick m'bad
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Of course it was DEfensive.

I just wanted to use my second post ever to take a shot at the champ, that's all.

Woo hoo! 3 posts! Woo hoo!
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by dcswede
Woo hoo! 3 posts! Woo hoo!
Not too bad. Not to bad at all!
Welcome to the Forum, dcswede.
mick
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I should point out that mick never said the ball went beyond the 25 foot outlet, so we don't know for sure it would have been a backcourt even if it was an offensive rebound. 25 feet doesn't get you to that line at any level beyond elementary school

Maybe he got the rebound and thought he had to take it back behind the 3 point line like in pick-up
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 03:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I should point out that mick never said the ball went beyond the 25 foot outlet, so we don't know for sure it would have been a backcourt even if it was an offensive rebound. 25 feet doesn't get you to that line at any level beyond elementary school
You actually could get to the center line or beyond in a high school game. Center line of a high school court is optimally 42'. The FT line extended is 18' from the end line. Adding 18'+25' gives you 43', or theoretically approximately 1' over the high school center line. Not that anyone really gives a dexter, though.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
You actually could get to the center line or beyond in a high school game. Center line of a high school court is optimally 42'. The FT line extended is 18' from the end line. Adding 18'+25' gives you 43', or theoretically approximately 1' over the high school center line. Not that anyone really gives a dexter, though.
Actually, the FT line is 19' from the endline: 15' FT line to board, 4' board to endline.

Not that it really matters.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Actually, the FT line is 19' from the endline: 15' FT line to board, 4' board to endline.

Not that it really matters.
Actually, you're right about the 19' and the "don't really matter" part. Except, I can remember that being on the exam many moons ago. And, if I remember right, I got it wrong then too. I don't look at rule 1 very often.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 12:34pm
In Memoriam

My seat wasn't real good.

It was a 'sorta' long pass (maybe 27'4-1/2"), but not so long as to prevent Mr. Jefferson from retrieving the ball, when he noticed that no one else wanted it.
I think he got it after the first bounce, but it may have been after the second bounce. ...A coupla dribbles; then, a puppy.

Tonight the Nets should be really tough!

mick