The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Is anyone else surprised to see Jim Rome as master of ceremonies for the Tillman Memorial Service?
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's not as surprising as the fact that he still has a radio show.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It's not as surprising as the fact that he still has a radio show.
Which is not as surprising as the fact that someone hasn't killed him yet. What an idiot.

As for Tillman, I have mixed emtoions about all this hoopla. I understand he sacrificed and gave up a lot to go over there. However, his sacrifice was no greater than that of hundreds of soldiers who have also given their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. The fact that he was a professional football player should not make his death more significant than others.

JMHO
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just another reason I have so much respect for Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz. Rome asked Ferentz to go on his show a couple of years ago, when the Hawkeyes were running the table in the Big Ten, and Ferentz said "No" because he doesn't like the show. Rome proceeded to blast the Hawks.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Believe it or not, but I thought Rome actually did a good job at the service. I could have done without the "a$$kicker" references, but that's just me. He did well in a very difficult situation.

As for all the hoopla, I understand your point, Bkballref. Had he sought the limelight for his choice, I'd agree even more. However, I think it was precisely his humility that makes him worthy of such mass grief.

He was no more a hero than the other soldiers fighting over there, but he was no less one either. Although the circumstances of his death may very well lead one to elevate his status a bit.

My hope is that his death will let us recognize the nature of the sacrifice that all soldiers risk, regardless of whether they're in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kurjizstan, Korea, or Cuba.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

As for Tillman, I have mixed emtoions about all this hoopla. I understand he sacrificed and gave up a lot to go over there. However, his sacrifice was no greater than that of hundreds of soldiers who have also given their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. The fact that he was a professional football player should not make his death more significant than others.

JMHO
I am with you on this one.

I think that what Pat Tillman did was great. I think he is a hero on many levels. But he is no different than many other people that did not have the finacial security to cover his sacrifice. There are so many people that have lost their life and left children and other reponsibilites behind. Granted, he gave up millions of dollars, but I am sure he had some preperation to cover things if he did not come back. We are coming up on thousands of casualties (dead and wounded) that have fought these wars. There are many that lives have been completely changed because of this "war on terror." I just hope we do not lose sight of the rest of the soldiers that will not be coming back or coming back as the left. But I guess none of them ever will, alive or dead.

Peace
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Everyone made way too big a deal out of this. He is just the same as every other soldier. Back in the day, many pro athletes were in the military.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Had he sought the limelight for his choice, I'd agree even more. However, I think it was precisely his humility that makes him worthy of such mass grief.
Which is precisely why he would be the last person to want all of this to go on. I feel confident that he would have been at peace with a simple ceremony for those whom he held dearest.

BTW, I don't think any of this over exuberance should be blamed on Tillman. He certainly has no control over it. He would not have sought out nor wanted this type of attention.

[Edited by BktBallRef on May 4th, 2004 at 11:00 AM]
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Had he sought the limelight for his choice, I'd agree even more. However, I think it was precisely his humility that makes him worthy of such mass grief.
Which is precisely why he would be the last person to want all of this to go on. I feel confident that he would have been at peace with a simple ceremony for those whom he held dearest. He would not have sought out nor wanted this type of attention.
Agreed, I would say that you could see the televised funeral as a favor to those of us who wanted to mourn with the family. Some of us have followed the story since the ESPY's (or before), and were saddened. More like when an entire town grieves for the loss of one of its own.
Had Pat Tillman come home alive, and finished his NFL career, he would likely have been forever relegated to a trivia question. "Who was that NFL guy who left for a few years to join the Army?" Sports fans would have struggled to remember his name.
Like it or not, Tillman has become a role model for millions. An icon of service and integrity.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Tillman

Being in the military and having served in both OIF and OEF. I also have mixed feelings about the Tilman coverage. I do not think it can not be atributed to Mr. Tilman, but on a sensationalize media. I have lost friends and loved ones in both conflict, and I neither expected or wanted any media coverage to legitimitize their sacrifice...That is not the reason we serve. It is great to feel appreciated for what we do and I feel that in this forum... so thank you for your support but as for me and my soldiers, we don't relish or expect any media coverage...It is kind of like officiating, in the regard, that when you do a good job, no one notices you; it is a thankless job and it is definitely not for the glory hounds; Although, you may think you are doing the best job you can to keep things fair and just, there will always be those in the stands who will find a reason to hate you...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Old Tue May 04, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Rome is great. He's half comedian, half sports talk host. Thing is, he can pull it off, while chodes like Jay Mohr last all of 3 weeks. But Rome is an acquired taste. If you're a bleeding heart liberal, you probably won't like him. If you like someone to tell it like it is and actually stand behind their statements, you'll like him.

With that said, if you want to bash him, go ahead. Just have a take, and don't suck. War T'Wolves!
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I believe his death and the resultant high profileness of it allows us to revisit the reason we are where we are.

Although I often criticize the media (and deservedly so) I also believe they 'feed' us what WE want. In other words--we have mostly ourselves to blame. When we can begin to lift ourselves out of the gutter; quit paying to read/view sensationalism for sensationalism sake, the media and owners will quit profiting from it and will focus elswhere. Rome is a perfect example of this. He is controversial--he sells. Yea, I was a bit surprised at his choice. But, I figure there were those close to the principals who knew better.

In this instance, by making such a big deal out of this particular death and loss, we are all reminded a little more of the real costs of war and the fight for the freedoms we enjoy. What happened to the outrage we all felt immediately after the tragedy of 9/11?! It's quite dissipated in the din of partisanship and apathy. Even something so significant as that is too soon fortten or pushed to the back.

Indeed, Cpl. Tillman did not seek & would not seek such attention; he went out of his way to avoid such. Still his sacrifice, like all those which have preceded him, are significant for us who remain. Our appreciation of those freedoms should increase and be evidenced by our actions. It gives us opportunity for some introspection.

[Edited by davidw on May 4th, 2004 at 03:15 PM]
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Rome is great. He's half comedian, half sports talk host. Thing is, he can pull it off, while chodes like Jay Mohr last all of 3 weeks. But Rome is an acquired taste. If you're a bleeding heart liberal, you probably won't like him. If you like someone to tell it like it is and actually stand behind their statements, you'll like him.

With that said, if you want to bash him, go ahead. Just have a take, and don't suck. War T'Wolves!
I am no longer a bleeding heart liberal (gave it up for lent one year and never looked back), but Rome doesn't work for me. It's easy, though. I turn the channel when he comes on. I think he did a good job with the Tillman service, though, and deserves props for a job well done.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
In this instance, by making such a big deal out of this particular death and loss, we are all reminded a little more of the real costs of war and the fight for the freedoms we enjoy. What happened to the outrage we all felt immediately after the tragedy of 9/11?! It's quite dissipated in the din of partisanship and apathy. Even something so significant as that is too soon fortton or pushed to the back.

Indeed, Cpl. Tillman did not seek & would not seek such attention; he went out of his way to avoid such. Still his sacrifice, like all those which have preceded him are significant for us who remain. Our appreciation of those freedoms should increase and be evidenced by our actions. It gives us opportunity for some introspection.
I snipped for brevity, but this was well said, David. Thanks, from one who faces the distinct possibility of going.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Tillman's is a great story, thus the huge media response. I agree, a pro athlete who's set for life (financially, at least) and joins the military is hardly worthy of such excessive adulation. It's a tremendous sacrifice, and one to be admired, but as others have stated, no more or less than the hundreds of others who have given their life over there.

I'd be interested to see what Kelvin thinks of all this.