The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
As I said, I don't think the ump would actually change a call, there's too much scrutiny to do it. However, the average fan doesn't know that, and would see the conflict and overly scrutinize the calls.
I'm not saying that he will obviously blow a call. But mabye at the end of the game, on a close play at first, a call that could go either way, He might give it to the team that he has family members on. Think about this. The guy's brother is pitching. Gound ball to first, pitcher covering. Bang bang play. Now if he could go either way, he might go with his brother. This is a call directly involving his brother and another player.

I think either MLB should say either he works none of his brother's games, or he is able to work every position (behind the plate) for his games. If you can't trust him at the plate, how can you trust him in the field?
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 08:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down "Conflict."

Does anyone realize how hard it is to change any call? Especially in baseball?

It is really hard to do that, for one at least in baseball, plays happen and you just happen to be there. You do not tell the runner to round second and try for that extra base and you automatically make a call before the play gets there. Any umpire with any integrity could not even try to "cheat." This is not basketball where in individual official might have 15-20 calls a game potentially. In baseball with 4 umpires, they might be lucky if they have one call the entire game. And if he is on 3rd base, chances are he will be very possible that he will not have any close plays.

I do not see any problem with this, mainly because there is not much an umpire not behind the plate can influence. Baseball most of the time calls itself.

Peace
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
A question to all officials

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Does anyone realize how hard it is to change any call? Especially in baseball?

It is really hard to do that, for one at least in baseball, plays happen and you just happen to be there. You do not tell the runner to round second and try for that extra base and you automatically make a call before the play gets there. Any umpire with any integrity could not even try to "cheat." This is not basketball where in individual official might have 15-20 calls a game potentially. In baseball with 4 umpires, they might be lucky if they have one call the entire game. And if he is on 3rd base, chances are he will be very possible that he will not have any close plays.

I do not see any problem with this, mainly because there is not much an umpire not behind the plate can influence. Baseball most of the time calls itself.

Peace
Frankly, I don't see how an official who works with any regularity at all could change his/her behavior for a particular game or situation. Don't all of you work very hard to make all your calls instinctive and automatic? If you had to think through each all as you make it, wouldn't it slow you down tremendously and be very obvious you were struggling? Unlike boxing or ice skating, where the officials' judgments are not displayed until after the fact, sports like baseball and basketball require instantaneous and demonstrable decisions by the officials. Does anyone think they could actually switch their decision making mechanism back and forth between automatic and biased and not have it obvious to everyone?
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't think I am that automatic at all. Espicially calling pitches. After the catcher catches the pitch, I pause and the call strike or ball. The small pause lets me think about the pitch and make the right call.

Everyone says that no umpire could intentionally make the wrong call. Then why will they not let him work the plate for his brother's games? I say he is either working the plate for the games, or he is not allowed to do them at all.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: A question to all officials

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch

Frankly, I don't see how an official who works with any regularity at all could change his/her behavior for a particular game or situation. Don't all of you work very hard to make all your calls instinctive and automatic? If you had to think through each all as you make it, wouldn't it slow you down tremendously and be very obvious you were struggling? Unlike boxing or ice skating, where the officials' judgments are not displayed until after the fact, sports like baseball and basketball require instantaneous and demonstrable decisions by the officials. Does anyone think they could actually switch their decision making mechanism back and forth between automatic and biased and not have it obvious to everyone?
I completely agree. I work too hard to get in position to be there just for that one moment and most of the time it does not happen. Usually the close play is made on autopilot. Even when you start thinking that "this is my brother or friend," you make a delayed call or not a very good one. Baseball is all about timing when making a call. Too much thinking can drastically affect that timing.

Peace
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach, you are right. My point is not that an official or umpire would actually change a call. Only that most people are not aware of the difficulties involved. Should there be a close call that benefits the family member (especially if slow motion replays show it to be wrong), many fans will question the integrity of that official. It's not fair to the official to put him in that position.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Question And this would be a change because of.........

Quote:
Should there be a close call that benefits the family member (especially if slow motion replays show it to be wrong), many fans will question the integrity of that official. It's not fair to the official to put him in that position.
You do not need a close play to question the integrity of umpires or officials. They do it already. Who cares if that is what fans think. Fans think the NBA wants and uses the official to help them win the NBA Championship.

Peace
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: And this would be a change because of.........

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Should there be a close call that benefits the family member (especially if slow motion replays show it to be wrong), many fans will question the integrity of that official. It's not fair to the official to put him in that position.
You do not need a close play to question the integrity of umpires or officials. They do it already. Who cares if that is what fans think. Fans think the NBA wants and uses the official to help them win the NBA Championship.

Peace
Point taken. I just think a family relationship opens itself up to all sorts of misconceptions. Sometimes, to maintain the impression of integrity, you must go above and beyond the minimum requirements.

As a loan processor at a major mortgage company, I am not allowed to actually sell real estate (a potential part time job) because of the potential for appearances. There is no way I could actually affect anything due to effective checks and balances, but the distance must be maintained to prevent problems from occurring from a potential conflict of interest. We are also not allowed to process loans of friends and family.
I see this as similar.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: And this would be a change because of.........

Quote:

Point taken. I just think a family relationship opens itself up to all sorts of misconceptions. Sometimes, to maintain the impression of integrity, you must go above and beyond the minimum requirements.

As a loan processor at a major mortgage company, I am not allowed to actually sell real estate (a potential part time job) because of the potential for appearances. There is no way I could actually affect anything due to effective checks and balances, but the distance must be maintained to prevent problems from occurring from a potential conflict of interest. We are also not allowed to process loans of friends and family.
I see this as similar.
I think anyone on that level has worked too hard to let their integrity get in the way. But MLB has made some provisions to prevent as much "potential" of appearances as possible. I think we can take it too far. Considering that many umpires come up with players and could know them for years as a result, I would be more concerned about those situations where no one knows that relationship than a brother than might work a base where no play is made.

MLB for once is doing the right thing.

Peace